IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Sony PS-J10 internal RIAA normalizer, use the internal one, or should I build my own?
polemon
post Aug 25 2012, 08:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 68578

I have a Sony PS-J10 turntable with internal RIAA curve normalizer. When that normalizer is on, I can connect the record player to a standard line input and it will sound - well normalized.

The problem is though, it seems it's pretty heavy on the trebles, so I use the equalizer on my mixer to tweak that. Now, would it make sense, to build my own RIAA normalizer / phono pre-amp? Or would I most probaly not gain anything and maybe I actually should stick with the internal one?

Any suggestions?

--------------------
-EOF-
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
polemon
post Oct 27 2012, 16:20
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 68578

Well, building a phono pre-amp is more or less a thing I could do in an hour in my basement. In fact I've build four in the time of my first post and this one here. The last one turned out to be the best one. I've sold the other ones. Now, they sound a bit different (better?) than the internal one of the turntable, but not actually hugely different.

A friend of mine suggested I get a multimode equalizer, with at least 24 adjustable frequencies. Now, I don't own that kinda thing, but I know where I can borrow one for a while. The idea is to see what settings sound best and then see if it is just my illusion, or if it really doesn't sound too good.

And this Test Record... I'm not gonna pay 40 USD for a record with no music on it. I have this one turntable, that I found in my basement, so I got it for free. I don't think it makes sense investing in a test record for a turntable that has basically zero value...

--------------------
-EOF-
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 12:11