Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

DBT Is Flawed Because Bob Stuart Says So, Split from Topic ID #11442
2Bdecided
post Aug 6 2012, 11:22
Post #1

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

I don't think it's helpful criticising someone for not running proper DBTs of loudspeakers. As far as I know, only one or two members here have tried.

I know the loudspeaker comments were part of a longer post that had many other issues, but I don't think ABX-ing loudspeakers is a realistic thing to jump on.

Cheers,
David.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
audioclaudio
post Aug 8 2012, 20:17
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 95560

The trouble with ABX testing is always the fact if you want it to be truly objective you have to collect a large enough number of subjective test results to start with, and then apply statistics in order to filter out the unwanted subjectiveness part. This is because every individual test result always has a significant chance of being highly inaccurate, so you need lots of people to participate if you want the final conclusions to be reliable ones.
Often, if not practically always, it is too time consuming and/or too uneconomical to conduct an ABX test properly, i.e. in such way that expectation bias doesn't creep in through the back door etcetera. Experts in auditory neuroscience and psychoacoustics have gathered experimental evidence which appears to indicate the following. Humans who remember different things are perfectly capable of hearing the same sounds differently as a result of remembering different things. For example, Bob Stuart of Meridian, who has a Ph.D in neuroscience, believes that it is perfectly possible for a person to not hear a specific detail in a piece of music when it is played back on one particular system "A", then to discover this specific detail by listening to the same music again on a better, more resolving system "B" next, and then, finally, to turn back to the previous system "A" and always hear this detail on system "A" even though the detail could previously not be heard on system "A". Moreover, Bob Stuart believes rapid switching between sounds can inevitably cause humans to perceive sound objects differently.
+Quote Post
greynol
post Aug 13 2012, 16:38
Post #3

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 13167

window <- comprehension of science

This post has been edited by greynol: Aug 13 2012, 16:39

--------------------
I should publish a list of forum idiots.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
2 Pages V   1 2 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 14:55