IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Upload forum rules

- No over 30 sec clips of copyrighted music. Cite properly and never more than necessary for the discussion.

- No copyrighted software without permission.

- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Irritating noise coming through speakers
liamoforange
post Jul 29 2012, 20:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 36794

Hi,

I am getting this annoying noise through my speakers. It's like there are crickets in my computer trying to send me subliminal messages in morse code.

A sample is attached.

1. It appears once the PC powers up.
2. It appears irregardless of what sound card is used either onboard sound, or external sound card
3. It appears irregardless of what slot external sound card is installed in
4. All cables are shielded.
5. I am running a cable to an external pre-amp and then to my amp.
6. When cable from PC is disconnected the pre-amp is dead silent, when attached the noise interferes with all functions. i.e. phono
7. When PC is off, no line noise on any channel in pre-amp.
8. Sound appears when using a different source, i.e. a receiver instead of pre and power amp.
9. Have swapped out multiple cables, even had a custom shielded cable made to run from PC to pre.
10. All drivers are installed properly and up to date.

Asus P5Q-deluxe
X-Fi Platinum sound card
Win 7 x64
4gb ram

Any and all help to troubleshoot and eliminate this problem will be greatly appreciated.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Memo1.m4a ( 99.42K ) Number of downloads: 437

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
liamoforange
post Jul 30 2012, 22:07
Post #2

Member No.: 36794

Fandango, I was able to locate that part you linked to locally for $18. I installed it, and it was a success!!!!! smile.gif biggrin.gif beer.gif

Thanks so much everyone, the noise is now gone from the system.

I have a question, does this part at all degrade SQ? Like I said the goal is to install an E-mu 1616m to record a friends music for him, and don't want to be introducing something into the chain that will take away from their studio work.

Again, thank you everyone! I was going a little crazy there and am starting to feel sane again. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Glenn Gundlach
post Jul 31 2012, 03:19
Post #3

Member No.: 52914

QUOTE (liamoforange @ Jul 30 2012, 13:07) *
Fandango, I was able to locate that part you linked to locally for $18. I installed it, and it was a success!!!!! smile.gif biggrin.gif beer.gif

Thanks so much everyone, the noise is now gone from the system.

I have a question, does this part at all degrade SQ? Like I said the goal is to install an E-mu 1616m to record a friends music for him, and don't want to be introducing something into the chain that will take away from their studio work.

Again, thank you everyone! I was going a little crazy there and am starting to feel sane again. smile.gif

They claim response 40 Hz to 32 KHz. I believe it's just a pair of transformers to 'galvanically isolate' the grounds which eliminates the currents. I listen to music with sub 30Hz response so I would look for another solution - and there is one but it'll cost you more than 5 bucks. If you're happy with it as it is, just use it and enjoy. The 'high end' solution is to use differential amplifiers that will subtract out the ground noise and leave you with DC to potentially hundreds of KHertz response. I know this works because I used this 'trick' in my car 20 years ago.

I'm glad you have it working.

G
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 05:44