IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Upload forum rules

- No over 30 sec clips of copyrighted music. Cite properly and never more than necessary for the discussion.

- No copyrighted software without permission.

- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Irritating noise coming through speakers
liamoforange
post Jul 29 2012, 20:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 36794

Hi,

I am getting this annoying noise through my speakers. It's like there are crickets in my computer trying to send me subliminal messages in morse code.

A sample is attached.

1. It appears once the PC powers up.
2. It appears irregardless of what sound card is used either onboard sound, or external sound card
3. It appears irregardless of what slot external sound card is installed in
4. All cables are shielded.
5. I am running a cable to an external pre-amp and then to my amp.
6. When cable from PC is disconnected the pre-amp is dead silent, when attached the noise interferes with all functions. i.e. phono
7. When PC is off, no line noise on any channel in pre-amp.
8. Sound appears when using a different source, i.e. a receiver instead of pre and power amp.
9. Have swapped out multiple cables, even had a custom shielded cable made to run from PC to pre.
10. All drivers are installed properly and up to date.

Asus P5Q-deluxe
X-Fi Platinum sound card
Win 7 x64
4gb ram

Any and all help to troubleshoot and eliminate this problem will be greatly appreciated.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Memo1.m4a ( 99.42K ) Number of downloads: 462

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Glenn Gundlach
post Jul 30 2012, 04:16
Post #2

Member No.: 52914

You have a ground loop from hell. It's the kind of noise I've heard when the shield is not connected between units and the ground is coming from the power cords. If it were mine I'd begin by disconnecting as much as possible including the monitor. How many units use 3 wire cords? I can't tell you to run without grounds as a safety issue but temporarily lifting the ground for test purposes is OK. Are any of your shielded cable home made? Are the shields connected at both ends? Any units plugged onto a different power circuit?

G
+Quote Post
liamoforange
post Jul 30 2012, 06:12
Post #3

Member No.: 36794

Thanks everyone, it is appreciated. I am going to try pulling the system apart and see what I can come up with for a solution, following some of the suggestions here.

A few additional details. This got markedly worse with the addition of a new modem to the system. It was there with the old modem, but about 5% of what is there now. That modem was failing and would not keep connected and needed replaced and the model is no longer available.

The "noise" (crosstalk?) gets worse the more data is coming down the line. If I am doing nothing online, it is minimal, surf it gets worse, stream live tv and it is pretty damn awful.

The entire audio chain is powered from dedicated sockets that have their own dedicated line from the fuse box.

The entire PC chain is powered from a Belkin UPS plugged into a different line from the box.

The only connection between the two parts of the system is the line out from the sound card to the pre-amp.

I have disconnected every cord in and out of the back of the PC save for the line out to the pre-amp, the power cord, and the line in from the modem. Makes 0 difference.

I did move the modem to another part of the room, about 25' away but it made no difference.

I have plugged other pieces, ipod and cd player, into the pre-amp and the noise is there with all of them if the line from the PC is connected, even if other line out selections are made. Disconnect the PC cable it goes away.

Keep firing suggestions for when I can take the day and rip this apart.

One other thing, I have bought an E-mu 1616M PCI-e with a separate break out box. I really don't want to eat the cost of it by opening it if this problem cannot be resolved. Would the grounding in that sound card/breakout box eliminate this situation?

Finally, could it be a failing part in my PC that is causing this?

Thank you. smile.gif

This post has been edited by liamoforange: Jul 30 2012, 06:15
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 03:05