IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Upload forum rules

- No over 30 sec clips of copyrighted music. Cite properly and never more than necessary for the discussion.

- No copyrighted software without permission.

- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Strange "Chirping" Noises in Needledrops
Engelsstaub
post Jul 29 2012, 00:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78200

I was wondering if someone could help me identify these sounds in the quiet passages of these files. It sounds to me like a chirping, or perhaps a squeaking, and is present and noticeable in nearly every quiet passage.

The first sample is from the start of a song that is operatic and quiet. The second sample is the ending of the same song. I've included it, as it is much closer to the peak of the track, to give a sense of how audible these sounds are.

My skill in iZotope RX2 is limited and I can't seem to figure out how to remove the sounds altogether.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  01___Unknown_Title.flac ( 1.89MB ) Number of downloads: 121
Attached File  02___Unknown_Title.flac ( 1.91MB ) Number of downloads: 97

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Apesbrain
post Jul 29 2012, 16:45
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 10915

Before getting concerned that this is a hardware problem, do you hear the same "chirps" on other LPs? If not, it is something specific to this album or to the circumstances under which you recorded it.

You can remove the offensive sounds but not without also taking out some of the HF content. Try a few things and pick the result you like best. iZotope can roll-off all content above 10k which is something I'd try; drastic, but probably better than hearing the chirps. This will also take away the two oscillator tones in that signal both visible as thin horizontal lines; one at about 14k and the other at 17k. These are likely in the original recording and attributable to something in the studio such as a CRT monitor. (Although, if you use a CRT monitor (or tube TV) close to your recording chain I suppose it could be coming in there.)

iZotope also has a tool to manually select and remove "patterns" which may produce a less destructive result although it will take more time and patience to execute. Be sure to save your work often!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 16:18