Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Flac To Flac Transcode Increases File Size?, [TOS #6: moved from General Audio]
sgold
post Jul 15 2012, 19:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101447

Hello.

Does anybody know why transcoding from flac to flac gives a slight increase In file size?
I noticed this when transcoding a -8 flac track to -8 flac, despite not changing anything about the file structure, tags etc..

The reason I was initially doing this was to see if I could remove embedded artwork and match the pre-embedded artwork file size by transcoding flac to flac. However i noticed an increase In file size was being observed even on a basic, minimal-tagged flac file.

The transcodes were made using dBpoweramp's music converter.

Regards

Scott
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
sgold
post Jul 16 2012, 14:44
Post #2

Member No.: 101447

That's correct Porcus, both were -8 original rip and conversion process, both v.1.2.1 also.

In a further experiment I took a -8 image FLAC CD rip and converted In to -8 tracks using cue tools and the cue file and observed the following file size difference...

(262,006,650 bytes) Original Image Rip

(262,069,350 bytes) following cue tools split with cue sheet

Now this file size difference seems completely plausible as I would imagine when the file Is split to tracks the 8kb padding gets added to each track which

would account for the 60,000-odd byte difference for the sum of the 8 tracks making up the cd?

However, before I came accross cue tools I used to first convert image files to wav and then split the tracks with EAC (split wav with gaps) and then finally transcode back to FLAC tracks using dBpoweramp's music converter....A little long-winded maybe, but the filesize difference observed using this method is considerably larger following the transcode...

again..(262,006,650 bytes) Original Image Rip

and then (262,162,721 bytes) following the conversion process into FLAC tracks

That's a more considerable 156,000 bytes difference, that's almost 1.5 times extra padding per track isn't it?

Could it be then that if one were to keep transcoding the same FLAC file over and over again the file would continuously increase in size, with a new padding allocation being implemented with each transcode?
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Jul 16 2012, 15:04
Post #3

Member No.: 38207

QUOTE (sgold @ Jul 16 2012, 15:44) *
Could it be then that if one were to keep transcoding the same FLAC file over and over again the file would continuously increase in size, with a new padding allocation being implemented with each transcode?

Try! wink.gif

If you want to repeat that experiment without having to wait for -8, then generate a file_0.flac with -0, a file_1.flac with -0, a file_2.flac with -0, and check the differences.

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 21:53