IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Static On Records, Solution to Alleviate.
Engelsstaub
post Jul 13 2012, 06:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78200

Hey, guys: I was just wondering what some of you use to get rid of static on your LPs. I've been getting a few lately (usually from EU manufacturers) that are just loaded and impossible to play (and record) without an obnoxious amount of crackle. I try to kill it with an anti static cloth and some distilled water and it only seems to partially mitigate the problem.

Has anyone ever tried Static Guard? I'm not so eager to spend $99 USD on that static gun-thing, but all advice is appreciated.

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
AndyH-ha
post Jul 13 2012, 11:24
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24222

I'm sure I've written on treating static in at least two threads. I don't have the energy to do rewriting, or searching, right now, so it's up to you.

I'm sure there are disagreements, but I've never found the Zerostat to do much of anything useful.

Static from static electricity, such as one might hope to fight with a Zerostat, attracts dust , Styrofoam, bits of paper, etc. to the LP surface. It can be prevented with an anti-static treatment. See the first sentence above.

A crackly sound that is part of the disk or the recording thereon will not be effected by any such treatment. It might be remedied with software decrackling, after recording. I've written on the steps of the Younglove technique, or the Younglove script, as it is often called (because Younglove developed a script to do it in CoolEdit). It should be easy to accomplish in most editors if one understands what needs to be done. I don't know if I referred to it as Younglove or just as decrackling when I explained how to go about it. Then, various software packages include their own methods of decrackling.
+Quote Post
cliveb
post Jul 16 2012, 08:43
Post #3

WaveRepair developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 15845

QUOTE (AndyH-ha @ Jul 13 2012, 11:24) *
A crackly sound that is part of the disk or the recording thereon will not be effected by any such treatment. It might be remedied with software decrackling, after recording. I've written on the steps of the Younglove technique, or the Younglove script, as it is often called (because Younglove developed a script to do it in CoolEdit).

For more info about the Younglove technique, see here:
http://delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm#clean_decrackle
That discussion in turn has a link to an archive of the original thread where Younglove described their method.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 06:16