IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Static On Records, Solution to Alleviate.
Engelsstaub
post Jul 13 2012, 06:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78200

Hey, guys: I was just wondering what some of you use to get rid of static on your LPs. I've been getting a few lately (usually from EU manufacturers) that are just loaded and impossible to play (and record) without an obnoxious amount of crackle. I try to kill it with an anti static cloth and some distilled water and it only seems to partially mitigate the problem.

Has anyone ever tried Static Guard? I'm not so eager to spend $99 USD on that static gun-thing, but all advice is appreciated.

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Engelsstaub
post Jul 14 2012, 01:11
Post #2

Thanks for the posts guys.

mixminus1:I'm not certain if it was the static it just seemed to always happen with such records. I dread putting them on my TT when they are that loaded (wish I had a rubber mat rather than a felt one.) It's like nails on a chalkboard to me and I keep thinking it has to be terrible for the needle and everything that comes in contact with it.

Andy: I will snoop around and look for your older posts. Your help is always appreciated here so it's worth searching for IMO smile.gif

mzil: That sounds like a good reason for me to stay away from wet-playing. I want to experiment with different needles in the future.

--------------------
+Quote Post
splice
post Jul 14 2012, 02:40
Post #3

Member No.: 7935

Breathe gently around the stylus area while the disc is playing. The intention is to make the air around the stylus high in humidity. If this momentarily reduces or eliminates the crackling, static is the likely cause and you should proceed to try the usual cures.

--------------------
Regards,
Don Hills
+Quote Post
Engelsstaub
post Jul 14 2012, 11:56
Post #4

QUOTE (splice @ Jul 13 2012, 20:40) *
Breathe...

I'll give that a try. I only have but one that is still pretty loaded with static at the mo, but it's not my intention to play it anytime soon. (Waiting to move next month and buy some new equipment for recording it on the first play.) FWIW I've noticed that some of the most egregious examples in the past are those that are in conventional inner-sleeves. The type that are semi-glossy and have lyrics and liner notes.

I hope RonaldDumsfeld reads this. I'd love to hear what he has to say. I've been thinking of using Static Guard spray, but I don't dare unless I can be reasonably sure it won't damage the vinyl.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 10:48