IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Static On Records, Solution to Alleviate.
Engelsstaub
post Jul 13 2012, 06:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78200

Hey, guys: I was just wondering what some of you use to get rid of static on your LPs. I've been getting a few lately (usually from EU manufacturers) that are just loaded and impossible to play (and record) without an obnoxious amount of crackle. I try to kill it with an anti static cloth and some distilled water and it only seems to partially mitigate the problem.

Has anyone ever tried Static Guard? I'm not so eager to spend $99 USD on that static gun-thing, but all advice is appreciated.

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Engelsstaub
post Jul 28 2012, 19:21
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 78200

I've never thought to try lighter fuel before.

I guess I learned that (static aside) there's just certain labels I won't buy vinyl from. Usually after they burn me twice with low-quality overpriced crap I won't even reconsider no matter how much I want the album. Most really egregious examples get traded in at my local record store for credit towards other vinyl and CDs. Like you, I have a few that I can't bring myself to part with even though they are in "poor-like new" shape. Luckily I have digital copies of all of them.

FWIW: I'm not having so much trouble with the static anymore. I was a bit foolish to attribute excessive surface noise to static and didn't realize that I was just fighting the dust that the static brought with it.

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 01:04