IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Do you actually burn a lossless cd?, is using programs like burrrn, nero b-rom, or cdburnerxp
[AS]
post Jul 7 2012, 11:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101229

Hey fellas, i tried to do alot of searching before i posted this, and none of the posts really answered a question for me.

Let me explain my situation, like many of you here, I'm an audiophile and prefer having my entire collection in loss-less for archiving.
all i have is FLAC files.
I have a very nice custom sound system in my vehicle and a nice home theater, and I'd like to have retail quality cd's with it.

I want to burn loss-less CD's, following redbook standards, so essentially i want a retail quality cd on a burned cd.

Here's my question, programs such as cdburnerxp where you just drag and drop the files, and click burn at this point you'll see something like "adding files to image" or something along that line, is programs like cdburnerxp actually burning the files into a retail quality cd. or does it convert the files to mp3 and burn, this question applies to other software like burrrn, nero b-rom, et cetera.

Also is there a way to figure out how to match checksums? for example match track md5's to burned track's md5?

if so then wouldn't that be able to tell you if whatever program is really burning a loss-less cd, because you could re-rip, and have the exact same filesize, and even better yet, checking burned tracks in something like audacity to match waveforms with original flac.

How about CD-Text, does this affect a lossles burn?

I'm sorry if posted this in the wrong section, i did try searching up to on previous threads, but none really answered the question.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
AndyH-ha
post Nov 9 2012, 03:42
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24222

All redbook audio CDs are the same data format. Looking at the optical disk with Windows Explorer will let you see if there are FLAC, mp3, wma, or anything else on it. If so, it is not actually an audio CD, it is just a CD disk with audio in some other format. It will not play in a regular CD player but may work fine in a DVD player.

If it isn't a audio CD, you want to simply COPY to HD suing Windows Explorer. Only audio CDs need extracting with programs such as EAC.

If you extract to lossless (wav, FLAK, etc.) you will get exactly what is on the CD. If you extract to a lossy format you will get a modified copy of what is one the CD. This is the case regardless of whether or not the CD was prepared from a lossless or lossy source. Even if the CD's source was lossy, lossless extraction will prevent further modification or the data, lossy will change it.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 06:34