IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Need Noise Reducer for mp3
exchanger107
post Jun 28 2012, 21:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101059

Can you guys help me? Please tell me how to remove or reduce noise of mp3 files?

This post has been edited by greynol: Jun 29 2012, 11:25
Reason for edit: Removed spam bait. Would have binned, but it sparked informative discussion.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
extrabigmehdi
post Jun 28 2012, 23:41
Post #2

Member No.: 72330

Well there are photoshop plugins that reduce artefacts from jpg compression, why it wouldn't be possible for mp3 compression ? It's not about reconstituting original signal, but making artefacts less obvious.

There is BBE that claim to have a technology to "repair" (they use more complex words) mp3 files, I prefer to disable it.
http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/mp.htm
+Quote Post
mjb2006
post Jun 29 2012, 12:07
Post #3

Member No.: 30694

QUOTE (extrabigmehdi @ Jun 28 2012, 16:41) *
There is BBE that claim to have a technology to "repair"

After reading that page, I stand by my "snake oil" comment. I'm sure this technology dresses up the sound, but every one of their claims is a target for ridicule and doubt:

• Restores and enhances harmonics lost through compression
  • Restores harmonics’ phase alignment
  • Restores stereo image reduced by compression, and regains full-stereo performance
  • Reveals the delicate and aesthetically delightful details in the music
  • Restores warmth to the spoiled digitally compressed sound
  • Expands the upper frequency range by over-sampling

QUOTE (knutinh @ Jun 29 2012, 03:50) *
What about blind high-frequency reconstruction based on lowfrequency bands wherever encoder lowpass/quantizer have removed all energy?

I'm guessing that's what "Restores and enhances harmonics lost through compression" is, with a very generous use of the word "restores", given that there's no way to know exactly what was lost. Something SBR-like, maybe? Regardless, if it has the effect of boosting the higher frequencies and adding some noise up there (judiciously or not), I'm sure people will enjoy it and say it sounds better than a typical 16 KHz-lowpassed MP3, thus "restored". I saw on another forum it was described as "polishing a turd".

This post has been edited by mjb2006: Jun 29 2012, 12:19
+Quote Post
extrabigmehdi
post Jun 29 2012, 13:03
Post #4

Member No.: 72330

QUOTE (mjb2006 @ Jun 29 2012, 11:07) *
I'm guessing that's what "Restores and enhances harmonics lost through compression" is, with a very generous use of the word "restores", given that there's no way to know exactly what was lost. Something SBR-like, maybe? Regardless, if it has the effect of boosting the higher frequencies and adding some noise up there (judiciously or not), I'm sure people will enjoy it and say it sounds better than a typical 16 KHz-lowpassed MP3, thus "restored". I saw on another forum it was described as "polishing a turd".

There's no equivalent to inpainting for pics, applied to sound ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inpainting

Regarding MP enhance from BBE; I don't like it, because it works even with lossless files.
It boosts the highs, and do other weird stuff I don't know.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 23:30