IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Comparison of compression ratios between FLAC --best and TAK -p4, 5,074 songs compared
skamp
post Jun 25 2012, 09:19
Post #1

Group: Developer
Member No.: 13875

This post made me wonder whether I had over-estimated TAK's compression capabilities, so I decided to run a benchmark on my entire music collection.

I used caudec to transcode my 5,074 FLACs (--best, version 1.2.1) to TAK (-p4, version 2.2.0), one album at a time. All songs are CD audio (16 bit / 44.1 kHz, stereo). I measured the size in bytes of all the files comprising the album, as WAV, FLAC and TAK files. I then calculated the compression ratio of the FLACs and the TAKs compared to the WAVs, as a percentage. Finally, I calculated the difference in ratios between FLAC and TAK: that value (also a percentage of the WAV file) is always negative, meaning TAK compressed better than FLAC in all cases. Here are the results, as a CSV file.

On average, TAK compressed 2.19% better than FLAC. Here's a list of the top 10 albums where the difference was the most significant:
  • Original Pirate Material by The Streets: -4.9%
  • Flat Beat (CD single) by Mr. Oizo: -4.6%
  • Tubular Bells 2003 by Mike Oldfield: -4.6%
  • Mothership Reconnection (CD single) by Scott Grooves: -4.5%
  • François by Desireless: -4.4%
  • The Man-Machine by Kraftwerk: -4.3%
  • Sublime by Sublime: -4.1%
  • Doggystyle by Snoop Dogg: -4.1%
  • Raising Hell by Run-D.M.C.: -4.1%
  • Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd: -4.1%

Note: I used -p4 with TAK simply because I forgot about the existence about -p4m. I later tried it on a couple albums though, and while TAK -p4 is faster than FLAC --best, TAK -p4m is slower. Improvement in compression is unlikely to be much larger than 0.2%, from what I can tell.

This post has been edited by skamp: Jun 25 2012, 09:44

--------------------
See my profile for measurements, tools and recommendations.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 09:45