IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Going below 75db with mp3gain?
zeitfliesst
post Jun 21 2012, 00:42
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100865

I've recently bought an amp for my IEM's, which are the most sensitive ones I've used so far. In order to get comfortable volume levels, I've brought down my entire mp3 collection to a volume level of ~72db, which I found is 3db lower than the minimum "allowed" by mp3gain (when you enter anything below that it resets to 75db). Is this going to affect my mp3 files in any way that will degrade its sound quality? I've listened to the files and they don't sound different, but just wanted to make sure if this is a safe thing to do...
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Canar
post Jun 21 2012, 00:45
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 2796

You had: Device -> Headphones
You now have: Device -> Amp -> Headphones

Was the amp really necessary? You're gaining no audio quality from it. Amping IEMs might even damage them or your ears. They're designed to run with very little electricity, as you'd expect for something that is inserted into the ear canal.

--------------------
You cannot ABX the rustling of jimmies.
No mouse? No problem.
+Quote Post
probedb
post Jun 21 2012, 08:45
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 16817

QUOTE (Canar @ Jun 21 2012, 00:45) *
Was the amp really necessary? You're gaining no audio quality from it. Amping IEMs might even damage them or your ears. They're designed to run with very little electricity, as you'd expect for something that is inserted into the ear canal.

Many, many people have headphones amps for IEMs. Generally people know how to use the volume control which is the only thing that could actually do anything. You could do the same without a headphone amp, assuming your device has an amp capable of producing the necessary power.

To the OP, I'm a little unsure of how you can't turn the volume below something that's uncomfortable for your ears which seems to be what you're saying?
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 09:45