IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Audiophile Turntable Newbie - What to buy as a gift?, [moved from Audio Hardware]
musiclove
post Jun 15 2012, 19:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100749

Hi there all!

I am glad to have discovered this forum. I am a newbie at the audiophile game and want to buy my super audiophile boyfriend a turntable as a gift. I have done some initial research and have found brands such as Pro-Ject, Rega, and Pyle. I am not familiar with turntables and audio systems at all and want to make sure I am buying the right thing. I am looking for something with great sound quality (of course) and up to date technical capabilities - meaning I want him to be able to connect to his computer via USB and be able to hook up the turntable to his home audio system. I am having trouble understanding pre-amps etc. I also want it to be able to play all types of records - 78, 35, 45 etc. and my budget maxes at 400-450 US dollars. Please help - I need to be educated but dont want him to be underwhelmed when he opens the gift!

thank you all so much in advance. i really appreciate it.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
RonaldDumsfeld
post Jun 16 2012, 02:24
Post #2

Member No.: 70617

Easy. Peasy. Buy him a Techics 1210 before they all disappear.

It's been a stone gone classic for nearly 50 years and never bettered. Just what he's looking for. Solid, reliable, low maintenance, attractive in a functional kind of way. It'll never let him down or disappoint him. All his mates will admire it. You will grow old but the good old Technics will still be there.

Actually I have a vested interest. My then g/f bought me a pair over 20 years ago. We are all still together.

Sadly, with your budget atm, your are going to have to go second hand/reconditioned. Don't sweat it though. They are bulletproof.
+Quote Post
Engelsstaub
post Jun 16 2012, 02:34
Post #3

Member No.: 78200

QUOTE (RonaldDumsfeld @ Jun 15 2012, 20:24) *
Easy. Peasy. Buy him a Techics 1210 before they all disappear...

Yeah. Although I have no experience with them I wouldn't be at all sad if I got ahold of one I've heard they are pretty great. biggrin.gif

Panasonic doesn't make them anymore but you should never have a difficult time finding a part for one if needed. Like RonaldDumsfeld said: they've been around forever and changed very little. Surely a testament to their engineering and durability.

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 16:15