IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Audiophile Turntable Newbie - What to buy as a gift?, [moved from Audio Hardware]
musiclove
post Jun 15 2012, 19:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100749

Hi there all!

I am glad to have discovered this forum. I am a newbie at the audiophile game and want to buy my super audiophile boyfriend a turntable as a gift. I have done some initial research and have found brands such as Pro-Ject, Rega, and Pyle. I am not familiar with turntables and audio systems at all and want to make sure I am buying the right thing. I am looking for something with great sound quality (of course) and up to date technical capabilities - meaning I want him to be able to connect to his computer via USB and be able to hook up the turntable to his home audio system. I am having trouble understanding pre-amps etc. I also want it to be able to play all types of records - 78, 35, 45 etc. and my budget maxes at 400-450 US dollars. Please help - I need to be educated but dont want him to be underwhelmed when he opens the gift!

thank you all so much in advance. i really appreciate it.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
A_Man_Eating_Duc...
post Jun 16 2012, 00:08
Post #2

Member No.: 705

If he is a super audiophile then I would be very careful buying a turntable without his input, there is no point taking the risk wasting your money on a turntable that doesn't tick all his boxes (so to speak).

Does he have a HiFi store he usually goes to?

This post has been edited by A_Man_Eating_Duck: Jun 16 2012, 00:08

--------------------
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.
+Quote Post
mzil
post Jun 16 2012, 00:49
Post #3

Member No.: 45913

Unless he has a collection of records and no way to play them because his current record player died, I don't think buying into an obsolete format makes sense. Although there has been a small resurgence in LP sales in recent years, it is still just a niche market with a relatively tiny selection, and it is audibly inferior to CD in not some, but rather all ways.

CD is better in terms of a lack of pops, ticks, warp wow, inner groove distortion, center hole misalignment, hiss, hum, rumble, speed accuracy, wow, flutter, surface noise, flatness of frequency response in the audible band, channel separation, distortion, and is maintenance free and more durable.

Some people may prefer a particular LP to a CD, claiming the LP has a greater dynamic range, for example , but this is just because the recording engineer decided to use a different mix. There is nothing inherent to LP which makes it desirable over CD if accurate sound reproduction is one's goal.

This post has been edited by mzil: Jun 16 2012, 00:58
+Quote Post
Engelsstaub
post Jun 16 2012, 02:07
Post #4

Member No.: 78200

QUOTE (mzil @ Jun 15 2012, 18:49) *
...and it is audibly inferior to CD in not some, but rather all ways...

...Some people may prefer a particular LP to a CD, claiming the LP has a greater dynamic range, for example , but this is just because the recording engineer decided to use a different mix. There is nothing inherent to LP which makes it desirable over CD if accurate sound reproduction is one's goal.

I have more than a few modern examples of records that "sound better" to me than the CD. You're quite right in that it has nothing to do with vinyl being more accurated or "warmer" or anything like that. You're also right in that it comes down to a different mix.

The CD is better IMO than the LP, but too often the "accurate sound reproduction" you speak of is ruined by clipping and maxing it up to 0 dB as if we don't know how to normalize our music for use on portables.

OP: I would personally recommend a Pro-Ject Debut III if your BF wants a turntable. They are pretty easily upgradable if he wants to make it "even better" in the future. Decent resale value and respected brand name. They are not however automatic. (You must lift the tonearm off of the record when it is done playing.)

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 10:34