Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please suggest uncompressed samples I can compress then compare
edmundf
post Jun 15 2012, 14:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100745

Hi Guys,

I am new here and I like to do a comparison between uncompressed music and MP3 192kbps.
There is no doubt in my mind that you experts have some suitable samples for me, I mean suitable so that one actually can hear the difference. I do have a decent stereo set and I can convert uncompressed wav files to MP3.
So are there any such files floating around here?

Thanks

Edmund
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
halb27
post Jun 16 2012, 07:58
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 25015

QUOTE (A spambot who copied a question from somewhere else)
Hey friends can you tell me what factors are changing while conversion of uncompressed audio to mp3 files.

Conversion of uncompressed audio to mp3 means going from music representation in the time domain (music considered as a sequence of musical samples collected in extremely short time intervals as defined by the sampling frequency) to a representation in the frequency domain (music considered as the frequency distribution within relatively short windows of time). The frequency distribution is simplified for getting the compression effect - frequencies which are considered to be inaudible due to masking effects of the human hearing system are ignored.

There's a lot of decision making in this process for the encoder software, for instance the encoder has to decide whether or not there are impulses in the music of the current time window.
In case there are the current time window is divided into three subordinate windows for a better temporal resolution of the music. Decisions like these are not always easy to do for the encoder. There's also some limitation in the mp3 specs so that the frequency distribution in a time window cannot always be encoded as precise as the encoder thinks it should be done.

As errors in the decision making processes cannot totally be avoided and due to the mp3 limitations mp3 music can contain moments of audible inaccuracies. This applies only to specific musical content though, and with modern encoders this is rare event when using high quality settings, and even then the inaccuracies are hardly audible usually.

This post has been edited by db1989: Jun 16 2012, 10:16
Reason for edit: :P

--------------------
lame3100m -V1 --insane-factor 0.75
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 10:07