Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please suggest uncompressed samples I can compress then compare
edmundf
post Jun 15 2012, 14:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100745

Hi Guys,

I am new here and I like to do a comparison between uncompressed music and MP3 192kbps.
There is no doubt in my mind that you experts have some suitable samples for me, I mean suitable so that one actually can hear the difference. I do have a decent stereo set and I can convert uncompressed wav files to MP3.
So are there any such files floating around here?

Thanks

Edmund
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
halb27
post Jun 15 2012, 16:08
Post #2

Member No.: 25015

As was stated before music is fine usually @192 kbps when using a good mp3 encoder.

As for specific problems you can try these:
eig - the most critical part of it as a sample of problematic impulses in electronic music, or castanets as a problematic sample for 'impulses' in natural music. Pre-echo problems like these are the most frequently reported issues for mp3 and other codecs even when using high quality settings, but other when listening to electronic music or castanets, even this isn't too much of concern as long as you aren't very sensitive to this kind of problem.
Temporal smearing can also be heard in harpsichord music as in harp40_1.
With rare samples an artificial tremelo can be heard. It can be annoying as in the electronic sample lead-voice (again, electronic music can be real bad to audio codecs), or - not very bad - in natural music like trumpet_MyPrince.
Not bad but also not perfect can be samples like herding_calls. It's voice, though a special one. As for more usual voices, female women singers (especially of the french tongue) can be a slight problem too as in Là Ou Je Suis Née.
Trumpet can be a slight problem as in trumpet.

Lame development has improved upon samples like these a lot, so when using high quality settings the problematic character of most of these problems is next to nothing now to most people in a real life listening environment.

This post has been edited by halb27: Jun 15 2012, 16:39

--------------------
lame3100m -V1 --insane-factor 0.75
+Quote Post
mzil
post Jun 15 2012, 16:21
Post #3

Member No.: 45913

QUOTE (halb27 @ Jun 15 2012, 11:08) *
As for specific problems you can try these: <snip>

Those look interesting however they all lead to an "error 404" screen on my system/browser. Does one have to be a member of some site/forum for access? accept cookies? be in the same country/continent? or is there some other thing that is blocking me? Thanks.

This post has been edited by mzil: Jun 15 2012, 16:28
+Quote Post
halb27
post Jun 15 2012, 16:40
Post #4

Member No.: 25015

QUOTE (mzil @ Jun 15 2012, 16:21) *
QUOTE (halb27 @ Jun 15 2012, 11:08) *
As for specific problems you can try these: <snip>

Those look interesting however they all lead to an "error 404" screen on my system/browser. Does one have to be a member of some site/forum for access? accept cookies? be in the same country/continent? or is there some other thing that is blocking me? Thanks.

My bad, the links were not correct, sorry. Should work now.

--------------------
lame3100m -V1 --insane-factor 0.75
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 14:13