IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

looking for efficient speech codec
chrizoo
post Jun 15 2012, 02:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 52274

Hi. I have quite a few speech recordings (talkradio, lectures, notes to self, etc.) which I need to encode. I have done some tests with HE-AAC V2 (Nero AAC codec / 1.5.3.0) and am quite pleased with the quality/filesize ratio.

I then tried speex (speex-1.2beta1/$). When comparing to HE-AACv2 files of the same size, speex failed horribly for me during VLC 1.1.11 playback, suffering from major artefacts and lower overall quality. Not quite what I expected. (Unless VLC decoding is broken or the speex version too old ?)

1. How does speex fare against HE-AACv2 for you ?
  2. Is there any other substantially more efficient speech codec ?
  3. What software player (Windows) can you recommend ?
  4. What considerations should I not overlook if I want to keep the files for life (I'm still young :-) ?

many thanks

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Speckmade
post Jul 13 2012, 01:22
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 19848

More information on your scenario could be important - otherwise we'd have to guess on that.
Most telling hint seems to be the word "efficient" here..? As you mention Speex and HE-AAC you seem to be aiming for very low bitrates. I guess that means storage space or transmission bandwith are a problem?
- Detective work is fun but you might just tell us...

Opus seems to be a really nice replacement for both Speex and HE-AAC, given that it is also free/libre, open and royalty free format, an IETF standard, more efficient than both, ... But player support is just about to emerge now, no broad support yet. Although with being an IETF standard and already visible interest in the format (application support even already for development versions, ...) may promise a lot.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 18:01