IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Your approach for dealing with artist name (variation, aliases, stage
D.Sync
post Jun 14 2012, 12:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41742

Hey guys, I'm just wondering which approach did you use when dealing with artist variation, alias, stage name, etc. This is a different subject than the thread found here which mainly discusses on a way to idenfity artist aliases. The topic here is to figure out a way to retain all the aliases while being able to find the real same artist name that the alias is related to.

Below is the structure of my library:
- The ARTIST tag contains a mixture of stage name, real name, etc. (e.g. AiM, Ai Maeda) just like the album cover stated. The fallback is the most common name for the artist.

Drawbacks:
It is hard to find out ALL the tracks by the selected artist (when an artist have multiple alias, variations).

Well, before you say that why not just retag all the artist name into their real name? Although this approach works, for some of us, some names (e.g stage name) is much more well known than their real name, e.g. stage name (BoA) vs real name (Kwon Boa) or any DJ names. Another reason is that it is not feasible to retag a huge music collection with over 50k of tracks.

What I wanted to do:
- When an artist name is selected on the Filter list (or Facet), say AiM, other similar names for the same artist, such as Ai Maeda is selected as well.

Let's gather up some thoughts here.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
garym
post Jun 14 2012, 12:38
Post #2

Member No.: 35261

Why not just also use ALBUM ARTIST field in your tags. For example, I have:

ARTIST
Doug Sahm
Doug Sahm & Band
The Maked Men
Sir Douglas Quintet
Texas Tornados
etc.

For all these different ARTIST names, I also have an ALBUM ARTIST tag that is simply:

Doug Sahm

And in facets you can easily have it show you ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST side by side.
+Quote Post
D.Sync
post Jun 14 2012, 13:17
Post #3

Member No.: 41742

In my usage, the ALBUM ARTIST is used to describe the overall album artist. I find it improper to use in the following case:
In the DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks, there are dozens of artists aliases. The ALBUM ARTIST is thus filled with Various Artists. And as encouraged, the ALBUM ARTIST should be the same for an album, with varying TRACK ARTIST.

This post has been edited by db1989: Jun 14 2012, 15:09
Reason for edit: deleting pointless full quote
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 23:37