Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
software: digital audio Waveform
rxcory
post Jun 8 2012, 13:36
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100421

Are waveform generators and/or viewers commonly used? And which program(s) do you prefer? Are there any free or low-cost options for this kind of software?

My entire CD library is around 1500 - 2000 album titles, mostly AIFF and FLAC, and a few MP3s. I'm currently using Mac OS X and iTunes to catalog, and a free trial of Adobe Audition for waveform/ spectral frequency information viewing. Since my catalog often times consists of multiple versions of any given title, I've found this is an easy way to compare and determine which releases have the best mastering/sonic quality/dynamic range. This goes beyond simply weeding out Loudness Wars casualties, which can be done easily without the aid of pro software.

I'm a new member here at HA, but I've enjoyed the discussion and info here informally over the last couple of years. Please forgive me if this topic has been covered elsewhere ad nauseam. Adobe Audition is great, but quite expensive for someone like me who considers themselves to be a hobbyist. I'm only listening and comparing, not doing any editing, so I don't feel like I'm able to take advantage of everything Audition has to offer. Thanks all, for your advice.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dhromed
post Jun 8 2012, 13:50
Post #2

Member No.: 51347

I use foobar2000 for quick tone/sweep generation and spectrograph viewing.

For slightly more complex operations, I use Audacity.

For detailed inspection and analysis, there's Sonic Visualizer.

This post has been edited by dhromed: Jun 8 2012, 13:50
+Quote Post
rxcory
post Jun 9 2012, 01:08
Post #3

Thanks dhromed
+Quote Post
Brand
post Jun 9 2012, 12:12
Post #4

Member No.: 75355

Wavosaur is free and has some nice features, including a generator. There's also Acoustica Basic, which is currently in beta. Both are Windows only, though.

For cross platform, check out the already mentioned Audacity and ocenaudio. Oh and Spek for simple spectrum analysis.

Also, once you get into plugins (VST, AU..) you can get some extra functionality from programs which can host them.
+Quote Post
rxcory
post Jun 15 2012, 01:46
Post #5

Many thanks, Brand. I'm quickly discovering how few options there are for us Mac users. Audition is great, but too expensive for me at this point.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 10:21