IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Streaming FLAC requires more bandwidth, From: "The possibility of streaming FLAC music?" (95114)
extrabigmehdi
post May 23 2012, 04:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 72330

Streaming flac would theoretically take too much bandwidth. It's quite rare that you see people able to ABX a 320 kps encoded file ( and I mean with good encoders like Lame) , from lossless .
Even 320 kps is an overkill most of the time. Similarly , for the digital television , data is compressed before you receive it , in order to save some bandwith.
Never I've seen anyone complaining of the compression artifacts while looking at a digital TV.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
dumdidum
post May 23 2012, 10:19
Post #2

Member No.: 96595

Many ways to stream FLAC. GIYF.

I guess the more interesting question is whether you can do it under a bunch of constraints (on the hardware used on both ends, on your budget, etc.). On both the server and the client side, there are a lot more devices that can handle MP3 than FLAC. So again, the question becomes whether you can go with FLAC under constraints on your setup.
+Quote Post
Porcus
post May 23 2012, 11:57
Post #3

Member No.: 38207

<off topic>

QUOTE (dumdidum @ May 23 2012, 11:19) *

In good old days, we had to tell lusers to justfuckinggoogleit.com ...
</>

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 12:03