IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Streaming FLAC requires more bandwidth, From: "The possibility of streaming FLAC music?" (95114)
extrabigmehdi
post May 23 2012, 04:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 72330

Streaming flac would theoretically take too much bandwidth. It's quite rare that you see people able to ABX a 320 kps encoded file ( and I mean with good encoders like Lame) , from lossless .
Even 320 kps is an overkill most of the time. Similarly , for the digital television , data is compressed before you receive it , in order to save some bandwith.
Never I've seen anyone complaining of the compression artifacts while looking at a digital TV.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ouroboros
post May 27 2012, 13:59
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 53927

Not true. Many (actually, in my experience almost all) people who work in the application space make the naive simplifying assumption that network capacity is provisioned and scales linearly for all traffic types, and is effectively free, and neither of these is true. I design networks for a living, and spend much of my time explaining basic traffic engineering to apps developers and architects who have absolutely no idea about what really goes on in "The Internet", or in their corporate VPN. Once it's explained to them they understand it, it's just that they never think about it until prompted.

I wasn't trying to tell the OP not to stream FLAC, I was simply pointing out his flawed logic in assuming that there would be "not much extra money to be spent" - that may be true for the end point, but not necessarily for the transport network.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th December 2014 - 00:48