IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Is there a problem with winamp/vlc or is every other program wrong?
agent154
post May 23 2012, 08:50
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100083

I've converted a 6.1 channel WAV file to WAVPACK and I'm getting inconsistent playback between players. I've compressed my audio as follows:

wavpack --channel-order=sl,sr,fc,lfe,bc,fl,fr --raw-pcm=48000,24,7 "P:\!temp\part1.pcm" part1.wv

It sounds to me, while using my stereo headphones, that the front center channel went missing. Everything else seems fine. This seems to only happen when playing in Winamp using the official plugin, and with VLC Media Player 2.0.1. I can't seem to figure out what version of Winamp I have, but it's a subversion of 5 anyhow.

When playing the same file in Media Player Classic 1.6.0, everything sounds fine, as well as when I play it through Windows Media Player using the Shark007 codec pack, and in XBMC 11.0. With these, I can hear the center channel very clear (though not necessarily very loud) through both headphones.

I just downloaded WAVPACK for the first time today, so I'm using the most up to date version. I believe it's 4.60

EDIT: Also, I don't know if it's just me, but the audio (even in WMP or MPC) sounds a bit echo-ey. Also, while I was playing around to see what might have been wrong, when I ran the command above but using --channel-order=FL,FR,FC,LFE, everything sounded a-ok in both Winamp and VLC. MediaInfo still says that there are 7 channels though...

This post has been edited by agent154: May 23 2012, 09:01
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
xslig
post May 26 2012, 07:48
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 94046

Just add --channel-map=none switch.

My point wasn't that the file can't be encoded. My point was that FLAC has no defined channel order for 7 channels.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 08:42