Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
How to extract dts from dts-wav, eac3to only extracs dts-cd files as wav
Penguin71
post May 16 2012, 05:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99881

I have some dts files from a Telarc CD. I want to edit them in Audacity, but Audacity cannot read them. I tried using eac3to to convert them to FLAC files, but eac3to sees them only as wav files. This is because the dts-cd files have to conform to redbook CD format and are not typical dts files. Instead they have additional header information in them making them conform to 44.1k LPCM (I think).

If I could extract the dts file from the dts-wav file that I have now, eac3to should convert them to FLAC or WAV which will allow me to edit these files.

I could not find any options in eac3to to force it to read beyond the header info to detect dts.

If anyone has been able to do this I would appreciate your approach.

note: please no replies asking "why do you want to edit these files?" I just do!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sunhillow
post May 16 2012, 19:18
Post #2

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 286

foobar can read DTS WAV. You can use it to save to a linear WAV file
+Quote Post
par4ken
post May 17 2012, 23:06
Post #3

Member No.: 99552

QUOTE (Sunhillow @ May 16 2012, 20:18) *

So I've found out how to convert DTS-CD's to normal multichannel wave files by adding the ripped files to a playlist, then right click and select convert. This also works directly from a CD (but then you have to manually rename all the files). My question is that these DTS-CD's are supposed to be 20 bit, but the decoded (converted) files all come out as 16 bit. It would be desirable to save as 20 bit or 24 bit files as resolution is being lost. Playback setting in Foobar is set to 24 bit. Any comments or ideas?
+Quote Post
Mark0
post May 18 2012, 02:05
Post #4

Member No.: 3068

I'm not at all sure if this works, but you may try this tool that I made a long time ago to extract the MP3 stream from a WAV file:
http://mark0.net/soft-riffstrip-e.html

If it's just a DTS stream encapsulated in a WAV container, it may works.
+Quote Post
par4ken
post May 18 2012, 02:35
Post #5

Member No.: 99552

QUOTE (par4ken @ May 18 2012, 00:06) *
QUOTE (Sunhillow @ May 16 2012, 20:18) *

So I've found out how to convert DTS-CD's to normal multichannel wave files by adding the ripped files to a playlist, then right click and select convert. This also works directly from a CD (but then you have to manually rename all the files). My question is that these DTS-CD's are supposed to be 20 bit, but the decoded (converted) files all come out as 16 bit. It would be desirable to save as 20 bit or 24 bit files as resolution is being lost. Playback setting in Foobar is set to 24 bit. Any comments or ideas?

Further checking the bit depth for the converted files can be changed from auto to 24 bit, resulting in 24 bit output files, however I'm unsure if these files contain any extra information above that of the 16 bit output that is automatically selected.
The information about the DTS decoder states "a decode postprocessor which supports decoding DTS streams from 44100Hz or 48KHz 16-bit lossless PCM streams". If the decoder is limited to extracting 16 bit data up-converting to 24 bit would serve no purpose.
+Quote Post
sebus
post Feb 15 2014, 17:05
Post #6

Member No.: 114440

QUOTE (Mark0 @ May 18 2012, 01:05) *
I'm not at all sure if this works, but you may try this tool that I made a long time ago to extract the MP3 stream from a WAV file:
http://mark0.net/soft-riffstrip-e.html

If it's just a DTS stream encapsulated in a WAV container, it may works.

No, it does not

sebus
+Quote Post
sebus
post Feb 16 2014, 10:54
Post #7

Member No.: 114440

Tranzcode 0.40 beta will allow to output 6 mono waves that you can then edit & do whatever you need in the end

eac3to will also do it

As will azidts
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 18:23