IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Need advice on media players, Which one to get?
polemon
post May 7 2012, 16:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 68578

The scenario is like this: I run a pub with some friends. Now, the Idea is to use digital media players for music. We use CDs but it's a big pain in the ass changing them once every hour or so.

The idea is to use media players. Something with a USB port and an SD card slot.

Now, the best thing ever would be some sort of player that also supports at least DVDs, and BDs if possible. It should at least play all kinds of MP3, including the all VBR modes. Ogg/Vorbis and of course AAC would be nice as well. FLAC isn't really needed, since we don't do that kind of listening here...

Now, my first though was to get a small BD player that also has USB and SD slots, but there's a problem: It needs a screen so I can see what I'm selecting, etc.

Now, what I need it a standalone player, one where I don't have to connect a monitor or TV screen to it.

It seems this combination of requirements are pretty much impossible to meet, except for car audio systems. But using a car audio system isn't actually that easy, since I'd have to use a 12V transformer, that gives me the right amount of power for the system (which by no means is little).

Could someone please help me out? Maybe I'm going for a completely wrong approach here?

This post has been edited by polemon: May 7 2012, 16:59

--------------------
-EOF-
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ouroboros
post May 9 2012, 08:43
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 53927

QUOTE (DigitalMan @ May 9 2012, 03:18) *
I hate to ask, but...isn't it illegal in some countries to use a personal music player for entertaining at a business?

No, but it is illegal to play music without a licence. The digital age has brought about some anomalies, so you may need a different licence depending on the source of the music. In this case (playing locally stored music, not streaming from the Internet or playing a wireless broadcast) it is broadly the same as a CD player or a juke box, so covered by established licensing regimes. Whether it is a "personal" device or a larger device makes no difference to the licence requirements - it is the source of the music and the intended audience that dictate the requirements.

This post has been edited by Ouroboros: May 9 2012, 08:43
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 04:05