IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

"Dithering" over reducing the bitrates of my collection, Should i reduce my 24/96 surround material to 16/44.1?
BearcatSandor
post May 2 2012, 09:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 80732

Folks,

I've got quite a bit of 24/96 material on my computer that is in 5.1 surround. Given that most of us accept it as true that 16/44.1 vs 24/96 makes no audiable difference, is there any reason not to dither these files down to 16/44.1 in 5.1 channels?

It would save me disc space, reduce my network activity and also reduce my CPUs cock cycles.

Thanks

--------------------
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
dhromed
post May 2 2012, 11:06
Post #2

Member No.: 51347

QUOTE (BearcatSandor @ May 2 2012, 09:27) *
It would save me disc space

Maybe. Probably not much. Test some files with wildly different aural densities (think prog metal versus minimal electronica) and see if the average percentage is worth it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that you have a few dollars to spare, so instead of wondering about file quality versus size, just sidestep the issue and add a multi-terabyte hard drive. That's wht I did and it's the greatest decision I ever made. You can't buy peace of mind for less.

reduce my network activity

Barely.

reduce my CPUs cock cycles.

Barely.

Also Freudian slip? emot-toot.gif

Generally, for any desktop computer since '95, playing music is a lightweight operation.

This post has been edited by dhromed: May 2 2012, 11:09
+Quote Post
Nessuno
post May 2 2012, 11:41
Post #3

Member No.: 86562

QUOTE (dhromed @ May 2 2012, 12:06) *
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that you have a few dollars to spare, so instead of wondering about file quality versus size, just sidestep the issue and add a multi-terabyte hard drive. That's wht I did and it's the greatest decision I ever made. You can't buy peace of mind for less.

When thinking about disk space and just for peace of mind, remember to always think twice (at least, and physically separate)! wink.gif

--------------------
... I live by long distance.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 05:01