Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Distinguishing between lossless and lossy
Unrealmaster287
post Apr 27 2012, 11:44
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96002

Hey,

I would like to ask a question about lossless audio. How can you distinguish between a lossless song and one which has just been converted into a lossless format but isnít actually lossless.

From what I understand you have to use a spectrum analyzer, but that is the extent of what I understand.

Thank you so much in advance wink.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Brand
post Apr 27 2012, 13:01
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 75355

If you have the original lossless and a "suspect" file you can compare them. Based on the eventual differences you can pretty much certainly determine if the suspect is of lossless origin or not. (Not with 100% certainty, unless you know that there weren't any other lossless versions, like different pressings etc. or without taking into account ripping errors.)

If you only have the "suspect" file, you can never be sure of its origin. You can only make a guess with certain tools, like the spectrum analyzer, which will show you if there was a high frequency cut, which is typical for some lossy encodings.

QUOTE (Unrealmaster287 @ Apr 27 2012, 12:38) *
PS: How do I upload Images here

Upload the picture to some image host (like Tinypic). Get the direct link to the picture and post it with the "Insert Image" button.

This post has been edited by Brand: Apr 27 2012, 13:03
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 09:51