IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
SACD playback: I donít get 5.1, just stereo + I cannot play via S/PDIF, [TOS #6: was "Questions about SACd plugin"]
drake008@
post Apr 23 2012, 14:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99126

I got some of my SACDs ripped and tried to play them with foobar.

Problem is that I dont have the 5.1 surround sound its just plain stereo. Foobar says that it's 6 channels.

I have a XFI Xtreme Music PCI with the latest PAX drivers. I go via SPDIF to my receiver. I can playback DVDs/HDDVD/BluRays with full DD/DTS support (My receiver says so and changes automatically the mode)

Foobar dont change to digital output and so I cannot hear anything except stereo. Is there an option anywhere in foobar which tells it to put the sound to the spdif output or is this not possible.

I tried with ASIO and SPDIF in the options. without any luck.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sandrine
post Apr 23 2012, 15:35
Post #2

Member No.: 81991

It's not quite clear to me what you're trying to achieve, but here are some pointers:

- There are several plugin components available which can downmix the mc-tracks
- SPDIF can only transport stereo AFAIK
- foobar2000 does not support bitstreaming of DSD (or any other format AFAIK). I find it interesting, though, that you seem to have achieved DTS bitstreaming, I've never got it to work.
+Quote Post
SoNic67
post Apr 25 2012, 02:00
Post #3

Member No.: 87877

Your receiver cannot decode DSD (SACD) signals so it would be pointless to send that format as-is digitally to the receiver.

The decoder in FLAC will decode the surround DSD and put it out on your audio card outputs - all 6 of them. The Front L/R channels can be also send to digital output too, but you cannot cram the other channels in there too like that - uncompressed.
That's why DolbyDigital and DTS formats where created - those are loosy compression formats that allow the 5.1 channels in the bandwidth of 2 channels (SPDIF). Kind of like mp3 but for surround.
You would have to encode those 6 channels on-the-fly in DolbyDigital or DTS in order to send via SPDIF. That would be done with loss of quality anyway. Creative sells a software that would do that on their cards that have DSP, but I don't know if is worth it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 10:16