Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Microphone Delay
mzso
post Apr 18 2012, 12:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 43131

Hi!
I bought a microphone, plugged it in and I have an irritating few tenth of a second delay. Really annying becuse Its basically impossible to talk when you're hearing your ownvoice, withthis delay. I guess it would be similarly irritating if I would chat with someone else. Where should I look for the problem? (I have a xonar D1 with UNi Xonar drivers, if its any relevance)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
YellowOnion
post May 4 2012, 06:01
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 98589

Several things can cause latency,

Buffers, most systems have quite large buffers of 100ms, unless you know what you're doing you will need a large buffer, when your computer switches tasks you'll likely get buffer underruns, to work with a small buffer size you need Real-time processing and a special low latency driver interface like ASIO or jackd, and also turning power saving features off on your CPU as there's usually a delay in switching frequencies (Linux has a 10ms delay, I can get a stable 1.5ms buffer on Linux with jackd if I turn off power features)

most voice codecs work with lower frequency sample rates to save bandwidth
Resampling algorithms require a buffer as well

voice codecs usually don't add to much delay specifically for this reason, but they're all going to add at least 10ms, a codec like Vorbis adds up to 200ms delay

if you want to drop as much latency as possible, use ASIO if possible, set the 'default' sample rate for the recording device in windows to match the VoIP software if you can't use ASIO.

if you can't handle it still and don't care about the VoIP software

use a high performance voice codec like CELT or Opus, I believe the Team Speak and Mumble both use CELT, and Mumble has ASIO driver support.

I setup a Mumble server at my house, and a friend was in his room, the only difference in delay was a slight phase shift across the hall, this was even without ASIO, and the delay was still impressively low when we joined a mumble server 10ms away.

more technical info here: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/celt/demo.html
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 05:10