IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Multiple speaker bliss!, Mixing speakers in a stereo system.
AudioKitten
post Apr 16 2012, 11:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98656

I feel like I'm writing some kind of confessional for I'm sure I've committed some kind of high sin in audiophile land. The other week I was playing with my stereo and ended up connecting two sets of dissimilar speakers. One of each type of speaker in both my left and right channels. What amazed me is how good the combination sounded to me and that I hadn't before heard of multiple dissimilar speakers being used in home audio before.

What I'm pretty sure I'm responding to is the fact that my old speakers seem to add a certain amount of euphonic distortion that I like but pay for it in terms of clarity and resolution whereas my new speakers are clear and transparent but lack the "soft focus" effect that I liked. I found that adding the old speakers on top of the new speakers didn't seem to take away from the system's ability to resolve details but added the nice bit of fuzzy that I was missing.

Kosher, hardly! ...but I like it.

I was wondering how many other people used similar setups or what considerations I might consider as I develop my setup. The only community I've run across so far that mixes speaker types are guitarists but they also like to push single ended triode amplifiers to clipping so...
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Speedskater
post Apr 16 2012, 12:47
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 49500

Siegfried Linkwitz has recently been experimenting with a pair of small speakers near the listener, augmenting the main pair of speakers.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Watson/watson.htm

--------------------
Kevin
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 14:55