IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Add "Close to tray" behavior option, [No]
danbst
post Apr 15 2012, 11:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98845

Previous on "close to tray" series:
2006 - http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=44665
2008-2011 - http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=86892
2012 - http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=94142

NB. I'm aware of getting this topic be closed, so I'll try to explain position with arguments, not just "pleeeeiizzz add this option!!11"

Why I don't like "Minimize" button to minimize some apps:
- when foobar is fullscreened, it's much more easier to position on [X] button, not on [_], so I'm waisting time moving pointer around that corner
- I'm used with apps like uTorrent and amaroK, they support Close to tray function on default

Why I'm proposing this option:
- I want foobar to be like "music service" (mocp, mpd on linux), not an application. So closing the "frontend" *MUST NOT* stop the music. Option "Close to tray" is the simplest way to achieve service-like behavior
- one more: foobar is started with system and ended with system down. Music may be paused, but why closing app?
- one more: foobar is low on resources, so it's quite normal to have it started all the time
- I'm proposing an OPTION, not default

Why developers have to add this option:
- there is a bunch of guys, who also like such behavior, and there are cons for it. Why ignore? Make this people happy! This is what makes devs happy - when users are happy.
- standarts. Standarts are good, but two problems:
-- standarts are not constant on time, just on period of time
-- Close on tray behavior is quite standart, when interpreting foobar as "service" and foobar window as "frontend"

Why do I post this. A friend of mine asked me to recommend good player for Windows (he is Linux user). I recommended foobar2000, no doubts. But then he discovered it closes on [X] button: "It's quite like amarok, but how to make it not close on [X]?" - "No ways" - "It's a pity, I'll search myself for alternatives". (he found after some amarok-styled player, which didn't close on close)

That was critical -1 for foobar. I'm not begging on add this functionality, but begging on turning the rational part of mind on - "people need an option, people have arguments, arguments are real - why not adding?".

Peace all!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 17:20