IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

obtain asio4all v2 sound quality, How to obtain the higher quality you hear when asio4all is enabled?
colorful music
post Apr 13 2012, 06:49
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98754

How can I obtain the quality sound I hear when asio4all v2 is enabled on my DAW onto a mp3 or wav file??

When asio4all v2 is enabled in a DAW, the quality is so much better it sounds clear, louder when it's not, and as if the track has been mixed and mastered! laugh.gif

So how to get that sound that sound I hear on a media file? We're in 2012 there has to be a way! dry.gif

Rendering a track has nothing to do with your sound card or driver so I can rule that out. So I can try to record the sound asio4all is playing. I tried recording the analog sound with a audio interface on a different computer, and although I was successful the quality on the recorded track wasn't the same, it was not as clear as the original track. sad.gif where asio4all was playing.

So I can try to record digitally on another DAW using with a Virtual Audio Cable where all transfers are made digitally, providing NO sound quality loss (a bitperfect streaming). dry.gif

I use FL Studio as my main DAW where asio4all is enabled, and Reaper as my secondary DAW where I want to record the track. If I can find a way to record on Reaper the track that is playing on FL Studio while asio4all is enabled would I record the quality I'm pursuing?

If not what can I do to obtain that sound quality played back by asio4all v2? I couldn't get Virtual Audio Cable does not detect asio4all v2. dry.gif

Please Help any suggestions are great!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Kohlrabi
post Apr 13 2012, 08:24
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 20561

QUOTE (colorful music @ Apr 13 2012, 07:49) *
How can I obtain the quality sound I hear when asio4all v2 is enabled on my DAW onto a mp3 or wav file??

When asio4all v2 is enabled in a DAW, the quality is so much better it sounds clear, louder when it's not, and as if the track has been mixed and mastered! laugh.gif

Please keep in mind the Terms of Service of this forum, especially #8. As of now, it is unproven that ASIO sounds any different from other output methods on Windows as far as music playback is concerned. This is also true for ASIO4ALL, which as far as I know simply emulates an ASIO device via DirectSound/WASAPI.

So I can try to record digitally on another DAW using with a Virtual Audio Cable where all transfers are made digitally, providing NO sound quality loss (a bitperfect streaming). dry.gif

I use FL Studio as my main DAW where asio4all is enabled, and Reaper as my secondary DAW where I want to record the track. If I can find a way to record on Reaper the track that is playing on FL Studio while asio4all is enabled would I record the quality I'm pursuing?

I fail to see what benefit recording the audio playback offers over simply saving the audio in PCM. Warranted, if playback quality is high enough to perfectly reproduce say, 16bit/44.1kHz audio, you at least have a high chance of getting the same result as saving 16bit/44.1kHz PCM directly.

This post has been edited by Kohlrabi: Apr 13 2012, 08:25

--------------------
Ceterum censeo Masterdiskem esse delendam.
+Quote Post
colorful music
post Apr 15 2012, 03:28
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 98754

QUOTE (Kohlrabi @ Apr 13 2012, 01:24) *

Please keep in mind the Terms of Service of this forum, especially #8. As of now, it is unproven that ASIO sounds any different from other output methods on Windows as far as music playback is concerned. This is also true for ASIO4ALL, which as far as I know simply emulates an ASIO device via DirectSound/WASAPI.

I fail to see what benefit recording the audio playback offers over simply saving the audio in PCM. Warranted, if playback quality is high enough to perfectly reproduce say, 16bit/44.1kHz audio, you at least have a high chance of getting the same result as saving 16bit/44.1kHz PCM directly.

Kohlrabi I am aware a lot of people claim they hear things when they are just imaging

sometimes it's funny
sometimes it's annoying cause they waste your time
sometimes it's scary cause they are hearing things that are not really there.

I'm pretty sure the quality I hear is much better when asio4all is enabled than when my primary sound driver is enabled. That or I have a crappy primary sound driver, or I'm going crazy because I'm imagining things blink.gif

When asio4all is enabled I can hear the highs and lows very clearly and it sounds louder that I even have to turn down the volume or my headphones will blow! I placed the Db meter and the level peaks at 0db everytime asio4all or primary sound driver.
(however i did notice that on a different computer when asio4all is enabled the sound quality is just about identical.)

I also know everyone wants technical answers not just opinions. I agree, so I'll try to keep it that way. Instead of debating whether asio4all v2 sounds better, help me figure out how to record playback when asio4all is enabled? How could I record it digitally with Virtual Audio cable routed from my headphones port (because no doubt that is where the sound I am hearing is coming from is located) to Reaper

If I can do it I'll be glad to post a before and after sample and let you guys judge for yourselves.

TTYL
colorful music
+Quote Post
Kohlrabi
post Apr 15 2012, 06:55
Post #4

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 20561

QUOTE (colorful music @ Apr 15 2012, 04:28) *
I also know everyone wants technical answers not just opinions. I agree, so I'll try to keep it that way. Instead of debating whether asio4all v2 sounds better, help me figure out how to record playback when asio4all is enabled?

I just wanted to make sure that you understand that the whole premise is pointless, since the result will have equal or lower fidelity than the directly saved PCM. The fair assumption is that ASIO4ALL doesn't alter the sound noticeably via a bad resampler or some sort of equalizer settings, and if it does you would be recording those.

The point of ASIO4ALL is circumventing crappy WDM drivers, as far as I know it doesn't offer any benefits you expect from real ASIO, like possible bit-perfect output and low latency.

As mentioned before, this is one possible technical solution.

This post has been edited by Kohlrabi: Apr 15 2012, 07:16

--------------------
Ceterum censeo Masterdiskem esse delendam.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 15:49