IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Quiet Stereo Amp Suggestions
PhantmShado
post Apr 12 2012, 08:40
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98709

My HK 3490 I use on my desk with bookshelves about 2 feet away from me always seems to have a low hiss noise (slightly louder on right channel then on left) that is always present at some volume regardless of chosen input. The noise at times bothers me more than other times just listening to the speakers, but if I plug in audio technica headphones (which I've found to be easy to drive) the hiss becomes unbearable.

To this end I was wondering if there are any stereo amps I might look at that eliminate this hiss? I currently use the optical in and so would like a replacement that also has that. The speakers are Linn Majik 109s and they are pointed in at me each at about 2 feet from my ear.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
PhantmShado
post Apr 13 2012, 03:01
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 98709

Ok, I pulled the jumpers connecting preamp and amp and on both my living room and desk unit as I was curious. The hiss situation remained unchanged on the living room amp. However, listening to the desk speakers, the hiss rose to a regular music volume on removal of the jumpers. It was also still just the right channel though while the left remained very quiet.

Any other ideas besides just getting a new amp? As it's predominantly on one channel for each of the amps, I assume it doesn't relate to the speaker load as both left and right should be the same.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 19:20