IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Playing back a 96 KHz file produces lots of noise, What could be causing it?
Dario
post Apr 3 2012, 23:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 93842

Hello there,

I just noticed that if I were to play a file with a sampling rate of 96 KHz (or higher), my speakers would produce a lot of noise.

It happens with all files I've tried, regardless of whether they were originally stored in 96 KHz or upsampled from 44.1/48. The bit depth makes no difference either. I'm using a (rather old) motherboard with an integrated sound card and Realtek HD output and a pair of cheap PC speakers.

On the other hand, if I were to put up a DSP that would resample the output to 44.1/48 KHz, everything would sound just fine.

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this? It's really annoying.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Apr 3 2012, 23:31
Post #2

Member No.: 46454

Bad drivers?

If you've already checked for updated drivers, maybe you need a new soundcard. You can get a cheap one for under $10 USD. I bought a cheap USB soundcard (for maybe $20) just for such "experimental purposes".

(Speakers should have nothing to do with it, since the analog sound going to the speakers is analog and doesn't have a sample rate.)

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Apr 3 2012, 23:31
+Quote Post
Kohlrabi
post Apr 3 2012, 23:36
Post #3

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 20561

QUOTE (DVDdoug @ Apr 4 2012, 00:31) *
you need a new soundcard.

I don't think the possibility of playing ultrasonics warrants getting a new soundcard. Just stick to 44.1/48 kHz sampling rate, probably your speakers won't play back ultrasonics properly, anyway.

--------------------
Ceterum censeo Masterdiskem esse delendam.
+Quote Post
db1989
post Apr 3 2012, 23:38
Post #4

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

Perhaps a silly question: Does your hardware support 96 kHz?

QUOTE (Dario @ Apr 3 2012, 23:12 – emphasis mine) *
It happens with all files I've tried, regardless of whether they were originally stored in 96 KHz or upsampled from 44.1/48.
What is the purpose of doing that?
+Quote Post
Wombat
post Apr 3 2012, 23:45
Post #5

Member No.: 235

I am no expert but if you have Windows 7 running there was a hotfix lately that fixes some linear interpolation for playback. Maybe this is the case with your Realtek?
There is a thread here somewhere about this but i didnīt find it and donīt remember its title.
+Quote Post
Dario
post Apr 4 2012, 00:06
Post #6

Member No.: 93842

It was the drivers. Silly enough, I thought I had updated them three weeks ago. Thanks a million guys!

QUOTE (Wombat @ Apr 4 2012, 00:45) *
I am no expert but if you have Windows 7 running there was a hotfix lately that fixes some linear interpolation for playback. Maybe this is the case with your Realtek?
There is a thread here somewhere about this but i didnīt find it and donīt remember its title.

I'm running WinXP, but seems like updating the drivers fixed it.

QUOTE (db1989 @ Apr 4 2012, 00:38) *
QUOTE (Dario @ Apr 3 2012, 23:12 – emphasis mine) *
It happens with all files I've tried, regardless of whether they were originally stored in 96 KHz or upsampled from 44.1/48.
What is the purpose of doing that?

Oh, there's no purpose. I was just trying to make sure it wasn't caused by the high-res files themselves (since the amount of such files I have is really low, due to the fact that I see no point in having them and the kind of music I listen to isn't really available as high-res downloads).

QUOTE (Kohlrabi @ Apr 4 2012, 00:36) *
Just stick to 44.1/48 kHz sampling rate, probably your speakers won't play back ultrasonics properly, anyway.

I know, I know. I tried ABX-ing these high-res downloads against "regular" ones (from CDs), and couldn't spot a difference.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 20:14