IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New Sound Card for Music Production
glowing789
post Apr 3 2012, 21:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98354

Hi everyone, first post, hope its in the right place.

Wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which sound card to get. I will be using it for some audio recording but mainly midi input controlling VSTs, in Sibelius/Sonar, like east west quantum leap. The VSTs will have several instruments playing at once so i need a card with low latency full ASIO support and low latency midi input, im talking super low!
I've been considering these two:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/m-audio-fas...lus-protools-se

and

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/m-audio-aud...al-i-o-and-midi

Anyone any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

:-)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Apr 4 2012, 13:16
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (glowing789 @ Apr 3 2012, 16:04) *
Hi everyone, first post, hope its in the right place.

Wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which sound card to get. I will be using it for some audio recording but mainly midi input controlling VSTs, in Sibelius/Sonar, like east west quantum leap. The VSTs will have several instruments playing at once so i need a card with low latency full ASIO support and low latency midi input, im talking super low!
I've been considering these two:

The first question is: "Are you currently experiencing excess latency"?

The second question is: "If so, is the latency that you are experiencing due to the audio interface or the VST software?

Your post suggests some confusion. If the audio interface is just acting as a DAC, then it doesn't care whether it is playing a sound that was generated by one virtual instrument or 100. It's just giving an analog interpretation of some sme-old, same-old digital data.

OTOH, your VST software is profoundly affected by how many instruments it is generating.

Secondly, the data rate that we pass to 2 channel audio interfaces is ridiculously low by computer standards. 2 channels of 44 KHz 16 bits is a data rate of 176,400 bytes per second. In comparison the PCI interface that some are suggesting be avoided has a theoretical maximum of in excess of 100 megabytes, or 100,000,000 per second.

Obviously you have to crank the $#@!! out of the number of channels and/or sample rate and/or data word length to even get to 5% utilization of the data rate possible with a PCI channel. Speaking as someone who has recorded 26 or more concurrent 44/24 channels for hours at a time using PC's based on Athlon 2 processors and PCI channels - it is very hard to exhaust what a PCI channel can do with audio.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th December 2014 - 08:00