Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

TOSLink -> 3x 3.5mm jack converter?, Trying to connect 5.1 headphones to a PS3
ChronoSphere
post Mar 31 2012, 18:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41384

Hello,

I have a pair of Roccat Kave headphones with their 4x3.5mm jacks (mic + 5.1 sound) which I want to be able to use with my PS3.
The problem is that I don't want to have my PC running at the same time (to route the audio over my soundcard to the headset) and since the PS3 doesn't have any other way to output surround audio, I guess I need a TOSLink -> 3x3.5mm converter of some sort.

I tried searching, but couldn't really find anything, so my question is, do they even exist? If yes, do you know of any affordable solutions (preferably available in EU/Germany)?
Is there maybe another way? I guess the biggest problem is that the PS3 doesn't really accept many USB soundcards, if any at all.

I'm not really interested in getting the mic to work... but sound would be really nice.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Apr 1 2012, 12:30
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (ChronoSphere @ Mar 31 2012, 13:29) *
Hello,

I have a pair of Roccat Kave headphones with their 4x3.5mm jacks (mic + 5.1 sound) which I want to be able to use with my PS3.
The problem is that I don't want to have my PC running at the same time (to route the audio over my soundcard to the headset) and since the PS3 doesn't have any other way to output surround audio, I guess I need a TOSLink -> 3x3.5mm converter of some sort.

I tried searching, but couldn't really find anything, so my question is, do they even exist? If yes, do you know of any affordable solutions (preferably available in EU/Germany)?
Is there maybe another way? I guess the biggest problem is that the PS3 doesn't really accept many USB soundcards, if any at all.

I'm not really interested in getting the mic to work... but sound would be really nice.

What you need is a surround adapter that converts the optical surround signal into separate analog channels. This is a standard function of a surround receiver. There are also surround adaptors that convert optical to analog audio, but few if any of them have their own headphone amplifiers. You'd end up with one of them with a bunch of headphone amps plugged into it.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 19:39