Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

TOSLink -> 3x 3.5mm jack converter?, Trying to connect 5.1 headphones to a PS3
ChronoSphere
post Mar 31 2012, 18:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41384

Hello,

I have a pair of Roccat Kave headphones with their 4x3.5mm jacks (mic + 5.1 sound) which I want to be able to use with my PS3.
The problem is that I don't want to have my PC running at the same time (to route the audio over my soundcard to the headset) and since the PS3 doesn't have any other way to output surround audio, I guess I need a TOSLink -> 3x3.5mm converter of some sort.

I tried searching, but couldn't really find anything, so my question is, do they even exist? If yes, do you know of any affordable solutions (preferably available in EU/Germany)?
Is there maybe another way? I guess the biggest problem is that the PS3 doesn't really accept many USB soundcards, if any at all.

I'm not really interested in getting the mic to work... but sound would be really nice.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
andy o
post Apr 4 2012, 16:24
Post #2

Member No.: 68950

I think it's unlikely that your headphone is sending signals to Windows if it has the analog connections, unless it also has USB which would seem pretty unnecessary considering that it's already connecting via analog. That box you found doesn't have DTS decoding. You can probably get away with it if you're just playing games, but for some DVD or blu-ray with DTS tracks I don't know if the PS3 can transcode to DD. Even if it does, with DVD DTS tracks you'll be doing a lossy -> lossy conversion. With blu-ray, maybe it could decode the HD track losslessly and then convert to DD.

This post has been edited by andy o: Apr 4 2012, 16:27
+Quote Post
ChronoSphere
post Apr 4 2012, 23:42
Post #3

Member No.: 41384

QUOTE (andy o @ Apr 4 2012, 17:24) *
I think it's unlikely that your headphone is sending signals to Windows if it has the analog connections, unless it also has USB which would seem pretty unnecessary considering that it's already connecting via analog.

Yes, it does have an USB connector, so.. yeah. It needs the USB to power it's "amplifier" box and I just realized i can use the sliders for front/center/back/sub to control the volume, so I'll probably give that box you and Hengest found. I think it's kinda funny the actual volume control of these headphones only replicates a computer function sleep.gif

edit: the only problem now is getting it... the only German shop I found it at wants 82€ for it x_x

This post has been edited by ChronoSphere: Apr 5 2012, 00:03
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 14:46