IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Converting AC3 to other lossy format
GregDunn
post Mar 31 2012, 04:25
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 51274

I have a couple of legally owned DVDs with separate high quality AC3 music-only soundtracks which I'd like to listen to on my iPod. Is there any easy way to tell what the bit rate is on these tracks (just for the heck of it)?

Also, does it make any kind of sense to re-encode in a usable lossy format for listening or should I just bite the bullet and extract them into a lossless format, accepting the size increase? If no one has practical experience with doing this on an AC3 track, I may run some DB tests later - but it won't be for a while.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Tormanoid
post Mar 31 2012, 07:11
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 98220

QUOTE (GregDunn)
Is there any easy way to tell what the bit rate is on these tracks (just for the heck of it)?

You can check that out with MediaInfo (it's also available as a feature when installing K-Lite Mega Codec Pack).
Most AC-3 audio tracks are 192kbps. For 5.1 Surround, 448kbps is definitely the most common, sometimes 384.
QUOTE (GregDunn)
Also, does it make any kind of sense to re-encode in a usable lossy format for listening or should I just bite the bullet and extract them into a lossless format, accepting the size increase? If no one has practical experience with doing this on an AC3 track, I may run some DB tests later - but it won't be for a while.

First, it depends where it's 5.1 or stereo (different quality). Second, what lossy format are talking about? MP3, AAC, OGG?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 07:58