Reply to this topicStart new topic
FLAC compression in EAC doesn't work
ghost22
post Mar 18 2012, 10:01
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97881

Hi,
I'm EAC newbie and need help. I want to rip an compress to flac.
EAC Version 1.0 beta 3.
Flac: FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 Josh Coalson from http://flac.sourceforge.net/

I used in compressions options:
checked: use external programm for compression
parameter passing scheme: user defined encoder
use file extetion: .flac
Programm including...: C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\flac.exe
additional command line: -T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%" -5 %source%
checked: delete WAV after compression
checked: check for external programs return code

when i "test encoder" everything seems ok: no error occured.

I run EAC "test&copy selected tracks - compressed"

But, it rips and saves in the designated folder in WAV and not .flac

I don't know what else to do? any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
db1989
post Mar 18 2012, 10:06
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

Does it make a difference if you add %destination% to the end of your command-line?
+Quote Post
ghost22
post Mar 18 2012, 10:58
Post #3

to db1989:

if I add %destination% at the end i get an error when i "test encoder".
Maybe i add it wrong, if you could type the comand line out so i can just paste and copy?

This post has been edited by ghost22: Mar 18 2012, 11:29
+Quote Post
db1989
post Mar 18 2012, 11:43
Post #4

Actually, no, I see now that our guide for using EAC with FLAC does not include the destination placeholder; so, what you were using before seems to be correct according to that.

I canít see anything else wrong with your settings, but I may be overlooking something. The only other thing that crossed my mind was the possibility that you were using an x64 version of flac.exe with the x86 version of EAC, but AFAIK the official download includes only a 32-bit executable.
+Quote Post
ghost22
post Mar 18 2012, 12:03
Post #5

to db 1989

my next option would be to use ALAC for compression. I could use itunes to compress to .m4a, but when i configurate I get an error when I test

I use the following command line:

i found for an older version:

-e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%a" -l "%g" -t "%t" -g "%m" -y %y -n %n -i %s -o %d -d

and translated that for v.1.0 beta3 by myself (obviously wrong!) into:

-e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%artist" -l "%albumtitle" -t "%title" -g "%genre%" -y "%year%" -n "%tracknr%" -i "%coverfile%" -o "%original%" -d "%dest%"

Can somebody help?
+Quote Post
db1989
post Mar 18 2012, 12:34
Post #6

Iím sure you wonít have to abandon FLAC. Someone else can find something Iíve missed, or whatever. Perhaps if you post a screenshot of your settings page, there will be more information there. In any case, just wait for a while rather than forgetting FLAC altogether!

One thing I can see in your ALAC examples is this discrepancy:
i %s -o %d -d
vs.
-i "%coverfile%" -o "%original%" -d "%dest%"
They canít both be right, so thatís probably part of your problem.

Again, thereíll almost certainly be a way to get FLAC working. Be patient!
+Quote Post
Apesbrain
post Mar 18 2012, 13:59
Post #7

Member No.: 10915

Here is my working commandline. I believe it is the default installed by EAC:

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

The critical thing may be the final:
%source% -o %dest%

Also, be sure you are actually pointed to FLAC.EXE. Mine is in a FLAC folder within EAC folder but that may be a change I made after install.

This post has been edited by Apesbrain: Mar 18 2012, 14:04
+Quote Post
db1989
post Mar 18 2012, 14:07
Post #8

Aargh, I said %destination% instead of %dest% and missed -o. Now facepalming at self. Thanks for catching that!
+Quote Post
ghost22
post Mar 18 2012, 16:20
Post #9

to db 1989

Thank you for your post. I tried your command line, but it still saves it as .wav

Here is my screenshoot incl. "test encoder"

The "used commandline" in the "External Compresser Test" reads completly as follow:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\flac.exe -6 -V -T "ARTIST=Track Artist" -T "TITLE=Track Title" -T "ALBUM=CD Title" -T "DATE=1999" -T "TRACKNUMBER=05" -T "GENRE=Drum Solo" -T "COMMENT=Comment" -T "BAND=CD Interpret" -T "COMPOSER=Track Composer" -T "DISCNUMBER=1" -T "TOTALDISCS=1" -T "TOTALTRACKS=1" "etmp7!1!5.wav" -o "etmp7!1!5.flac"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any more suggestions? By the way I run Windows 7 home premium. Servie Pack 1, 64 bit
+Quote Post
Apesbrain
post Mar 18 2012, 20:14
Post #10

Member No.: 10915

Two things I would try:

1. Copy FLAC.EXE and one of your WAV files into the same folder. Open a command window there and run the command "FLAC.EXE filename.wav filename.flac" (no quotes) using the filename of your WAV. That should start FLAC converting the WAV file

2. Replace your EAC commandline with "%source% -o %dest%" (no quotes) just to see if that works. If so, you can add other switches until it breaks.
+Quote Post
lvqcl
post Mar 18 2012, 21:26
Post #11

Group: Developer
Member No.: 49183

I wonder why External Compresser Test window shows "flac 1.1.2"
+Quote Post
ghost22
post Mar 19 2012, 17:12
Post #12

Thanks to everybody. In the meantime I uninstalled and installed EAC, just in case i had a bad download. Unfortunatly that didn't help. Also the flac encoder which comes with v1.0b3 gave me error messages when I used it with the beginner friendly installation guide.

Nevertheless, I will try your suggestions.

My solution at the moment: I use itunes (alone) and save as .m4a
Works for me, CDs are in pretty good shape (most of them) so I don't really need EAC for error corrections and a one-to one copy is not my priority.
Itunes is of course absolutely unflexible and not really to customize, but the (given) format the music is saved onto the NAS is ok (so far).

Thanks again.
+Quote Post
laslaw01
post May 28 2012, 20:39
Post #13

Member No.: 100239

I'm having the same exact issues. Everything in the setup is correct. It simply doesn't compress via EAC. I tried running EAC as "administrator" but that didn't resolve the problem. I'm running EAC v1.0 beta 3. I didn't have this problem with the older version.

And the solution is that under the program path, you have to add the command line in the Additional command line options. (-6 is "quality" for the FLAC compression). I used the command line suggested at http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC :

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

I don't know if everything is necessary, but it DID fix the situation.

This post has been edited by laslaw01: May 28 2012, 21:03
+Quote Post
roadworrier
post Feb 23 2014, 17:11
Post #14

Member No.: 114637

QUOTE (laslaw01 @ May 28 2012, 20:39) *
I'm having the same exact issues. Everything in the setup is correct. It simply doesn't compress via EAC. I tried running EAC as "administrator" but that didn't resolve the problem. I'm running EAC v1.0 beta 3. I didn't have this problem with the older version.

And the solution is that under the program path, you have to add the command line in the Additional command line options. (-6 is "quality" for the FLAC compression). I used the command line suggested at http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC :

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

I don't know if everything is necessary, but it DID fix the situation.

I was having the same issues. I didn't expect this to help, as I also previously had flac compression working on another machine (probably with an older version of EAC or the flac.exe) and I was already using -8 as my command-line, however pasting in that whole command line above (changing the -6 to -8 for smallest file size) worked fine for me! Thanks! (It was really annoying having to run flac.exe by command line in a second step before laslaw01's suggestion.)

- Stefan
+Quote Post
tezet
post Feb 23 2014, 22:40
Post #15

Member No.: 114640

I have a working setup on my x64 Windows 8.1 system.
I use:
Select: Use external program for compression
Parameter passing scheme: User defined encoder.
Use file extension: .flac

Program: (Only the path and name of the executable): <path to flac.exe>\flac.exe

Put the folowing line in: Additional command-line options:

-T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source%

Only select: Delete wav after compression
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 02:10