IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

LAME resampling/lower sample rate questions
jensend
post Mar 3 2012, 06:44
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22191

I have a couple hundred hours of recorded speech (recorded in mono, 16-bit, mostly 48kHz but some 44.1kHz) I need to make available on the Internet, and as much as I'd like to use Opus for this, it's probably going to have to be MP3 for compatibility reasons. A bit of off-the-cuff testing shows that somewhere around 40-48 kbps seems to be fine for my purposes, but I'd like to be somewhat more confident about the choices I'm making before I start encoding all this. Thought I'd use the opportunity to educate myself a little while I'm at it too.

I know LAME automatically resamples the input when targeting low bitrates. I'd like to know exactly how it determines the output bitrate. I'm not fantastic with C (reading others' source takes me an inordinate amount of time) and I didn't find the relevant code with a little use of grep in the LAME sources. Could somebody point me to where in the sources this decision is made?

Also, how are the threshholds for switching to lower sample rates tuned? Might I be better off to resample at a lower rate than LAME would normally choose, since speech has so much less energy / useful information at high frequencies than music?

One thing that I did come across when looking for how the output rate is set was the following line from lame.c:
CODE
cfg->mode_gr = cfg->samplerate_out <= 24000 ? 1 : 2; /* Number of granules per frame */

I don't know much about the details of the MP3 format, but my initial guess is that using only one granule per frame increases the overhead from headers but allows for better accuracy in seeking etc. Since a granule at 24kHz is only 24ms this doesn't strike me as a very good guess. Could someone enlighten me about the reason for this switch? What other threshholds/decision points in either bitrate or sample rate are interesting or might be worth being informed about?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 08:12