IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Need help on identifying amp defect
soulsearchingsun
post Mar 1 2012, 14:26
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19370

I'm having issues with my mid-90s Sony solid state amp.
In particular the right channel is of lower volume (~-12dB in my measurements) and the sound is distorted in a way that there is noise added when I feed a signal to the amp. On silent parts, there is no additional noise. I ruled out the signal source and the speakers as the cause, it has to be the amp. I looked inside to see if I can find burned components, but I haven't had luck yet. I can't see the whole circuit board without disassembly (which I haven't done yet) though.

I uploaded a file here, with the following setup:
sound card output -> amp line level input; amp speaker out -> sound card line level input & speakers

Could anyone give me hints where I should look for the defect? Is this typical for some specific defect?
Thanks a lot!

edit:link now pointing to upload thread

This post has been edited by soulsearchingsun: Mar 1 2012, 14:32
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
pdq
post Mar 1 2012, 16:08
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24233

We could probably look for some characteristic distortion resulting from a common failure mode (without even looking/listening I am betting blow drive transistor), but is it really worth it? The likelihood of it being something simple/inexpensive to fix is small, and the cost of an excellent replacement is quite modest, so I think you should just bite the bullet, so to speak.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 06:02