Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Knowing if a CD/wav comes from Ogg ?
Xrcr9709
post Feb 24 2012, 02:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 70735

Hello,

I some special tape in the past, like 10 years ago. I encoded it in Ogg Vorbis, accidentally deleted the .wav files.

Now I have juste found back a CD with the same content.
But I don't remember at all if the CD has been burnt from the original wav files or from the already encoded Ogg files.

I there a way I can be sure about that ?

Thank you for your help.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
zima
post Feb 24 2012, 02:57
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7541

Not necessarily, saratoga? How precisely defined is Ogg Vorbis decoding? I hear it is very carefully defined for MP3 - compliant decoders giving the same output, within rounding tolerances...

...if that's also the case for Vorbis, and if you, Xrcr9709, also still have those Ogg Vorbis files (sounds like you do; otherwise, there would be even no point in asking, since the found CD would be your only copy anyway) - wouldn't comparing the output of Vorbis files and CD possibly do the trick?
If the spectrum (or such) are identical - or very nearly identical, to account for rounding - then the CD came from the PCM output of those Vorbis files. If clearly not identical, then... well, we still can't know, on that information alone, that the CD came from WAV - but if Xrcr9709 roughly remembers what he was doing with those files (for example, that there was only one lossy encoding done), this info could be enough of a circumstantial evidence, I guess?

edit: but anyway, if you can't hear the difference... (this place calls for ABX testing after all tongue.gif )

This post has been edited by zima: Feb 24 2012, 03:02

--------------------
http://last.fm/user/zima
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 00:48