Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Best archiving strategy: Rippers & encoders
Blutarsky
post Feb 22 2012, 12:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 58575

Time to archive my CD collection.
Will start ripping to FLAC; once done will encode FLACs to MP3 v0 or AAC 256.

Questions:

- What is the best Windows CD-to-FLAC ripper?
- Is there any advice regarding bad/good CD readers? For example, will my notebooks DVD/CD reader be reliable?
- What is the best tagging program?I'd like to start tagging FLACs. On the repository side I like MusicBrainz and lastFM genre finder
- What is the best album art importer? Once tagged FLACs, I would ike to import high quality album arts (minimum 500x500) possibly 900x900 (will help in the future browsing covers using a touch screen on large touch screen monitors!)
- Once done I would encode from FLAC to lossy for portability purposes: MP3 V0 or AAC 256?

Thanks for helping
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ouroboros
post Feb 22 2012, 14:02
Post #2

Member No.: 53927

Did you do any reading.....? All of these questions have been asked and answered many times......

1. EAC or dBPoweramp, because both use AccurateRip to check the rip.
2. Use an external USB drive rather than your notebook one, simply because it's much easier and cheaper to replace when it wears out.
3. EAC uses a couple of on-line databases to give you basic tagging, I'm sure dBPoweramp has a wider choice. Foobar, Cuetools and MP3Tag will also do lookups for you. MP3Tag or Foobar are good for manual retagging (which you will need to do - the on-line databases are all lowest common denominator).
4. EAC now does albumart lookups (if you pick the right metadata provider), as do dBPoweramp and Foobar.
5. Your choice - but I'm wondering why one of your options is VBR and the other CBR? I'd suggest VBR for both, at a setting that is transparent to your ears - so do a listening test. Many people find LAME V2 transparent in most circumstances, but you really need to listen for yourself. Also, pick the format that best matches your listening equipment. If your car only supports MP3, use MP3. If your players support both, do a listening test.
+Quote Post
Blutarsky
post Feb 22 2012, 14:46
Post #3

Member No.: 58575

QUOTE (Ouroboros @ Feb 22 2012, 07:02) *
Did you do any reading.....?

Yes, but many articles are outdated, so you never know what is the current state of the art smile.gif

Thanks for replying
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 17:06