Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

FLAC tag and file size ?
Xrcr9709
post Feb 21 2012, 15:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 70735

Hello,

I just noticed that and at a first glance it looks weird to me.

I've encoded 11 FLAC files with FLAC Frontend. I've tagged them (without album cover), but I kept a copy of the untagged files.
When I compare their size, the tagged files and the non-tagged files have the exactly same size (in bytes).
(This changes of course if I add the album cover to the files.)

So why is that that add data to the file doesn't seem to make the file bigger ?
I guess I've used the standard tag files and maybe they have their place reserved even when they are empty ? Or something like that ?

Thank you for the info.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
tuffy
post Feb 26 2012, 00:43
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46367

Tagging doesn't change audio data in any way. What's happening is that adding an image increases your file's size. When calculating bitrate as total file size in bytes divided by file length in seconds, adding an image will increase its bitrate. However, tagging programs often replace parts of the file with padding when removing an image in order to avoid rewriting the whole file. This explains why your bitrate doesn't shrink when taking the image back out again. On the other hand, if program decides to calculate bitrate as file length not counting the metadata tags, it might give a different rate than one that uses the file's total size.

But because your file is lossless, its bitrate is largely academic and not something to worry about beyond how well your file happens to be compressed.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 09:26