IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Winamp hangs with Kernel streaming output v3.63
Wim de Gelder
post Feb 18 2012, 12:51
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97234

I have a fully digital setup: Win XP32 SP3, Winamp 5.623, Trends USB UD Audio Converter 10.1, balanced SPdif (AES/EBU) to K+H O300D speakers.
The weakest link in the chain is the Windows Kmixer.
Somewhere I HAVE to be able to adjust volume and I wanted to do this with Steve Monks Kernel Streaming Output (it has a a volume control option), because Windows Kmixer is really bad sounding if you're somewhere below 100%. The ASIO pluging (understandably) doesn't have a volume control option.
But Winamp crashes when this plugin is selected. Now I'm using the standard Nullsoft Wave-out plugin, but this sounds as bad as Kmixer.

Why is my Winamp hangin with the KSO V3.63 and what am I goning to do about it?

I reinstalled Winamp, the KSO, tried a lower version etc.

Thanks in advance, Wim
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Wim de Gelder
post Feb 20 2012, 23:29
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 97234

In fact guys, I am looking for a high-end player, with high-end sound quality to match my beautifull K+H speakers with 1500 playlists/CD's.

I want my player to have the simplicity and stability of Winamp or WMP, with the volume processing quality of Weiss Engineering.
Foobar is like a sandcastle: you turn your head and you have to start all over again. Beside this, Foobar has problems in sorting the playlists in alphabetical order.
J River is OK, people are very nice and helpfull, but it doesn't handle playlists that are old and contain ..\..\ .. in the middle of file. They are working on it.
The French MusiCHI feels OK, is a little complex to use, had some installaton problems and also lacks a volume control, due to audiophile reasons. These people are also very helpfull, so we can expect a solution somewhere in the nearby future.

Somebody has got to take resposability! The world is getting more and more digitized, so why do we all have to rely on old operational amps, valves, transistors and tubes to simply turn the volume up and down?

Why isn't here a simple processing plug-in with proper dithering for Windows to replace Kmixer? It excists for Mac OS!

Just breathing some frustration.... Nothing personal!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 15:34