Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Cowon E2 and Cube C30 maximum output powers
bisqik
post Feb 12 2012, 23:15
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 82600

Dear Sirs and Madams,

Is it possible that one of you, with proper equipment, could measure Cowon E2's and/or Cube C30/C60(a.k.a. Nationite Naninte N2)[they are using the same hardware] maximum output powers and post their results? It would be great if you could rate output impedance and frequency response also. It is nearly impossible to find such information on the web.

I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Andrew

This post has been edited by bisqik: Feb 12 2012, 23:16
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
bisqik
post Feb 13 2012, 03:07
Post #2

Member No.: 82600

Oh, you have crushed my dreams... So with Cube's amp it's all a lie? They even advertise in official press 130mW of output power. Eh...

With these DT880 it was just a test, nobody normal would listen to so hardly driven headphones with a portable player, of course. I wanted to put some perspective there.

I think I have to revise my headphones choices a little, but multiple-drivers balanced armatures can be quite difficult to drive, because their impedance is changing with frequency response, sometimes drastically.

It all comes to this, that there is in point in buying a DAP other than Clip+/Fuze, if (objectively measured) great sound quality is needed, and the possible difference is 3dB in loudness, which is almost negligible. I don't know anyone, who listens to music at full volume. The market is drifting towards making DAPs another smartphones with big displays and touch-everything.

It saddens me a little. I've got one smartphone already.

Thanks for your input, anyway:)

Cheers,
Andrew

+Quote Post
saratoga
post Feb 13 2012, 03:38
Post #3

Member No.: 3264

QUOTE (bisqik @ Feb 12 2012, 21:07) *
Oh, you have crushed my dreams... So with Cube's amp it's all a lie? They even advertise in official press 130mW of output power. Eh...

Well get one and see, but I don't think I've ever seen an mp3 player that had a rail available that was higher then 3.3v, and most run their DAC well below that. Most SOCs don't even provide a transformer that can supply enough power at 5v to drive anything of interest.

I think I have to revise my headphones choices a little, but multiple-drivers balanced armatures can be quite difficult to drive, because their impedance is changing with frequency response, sometimes drastically.

Sure, but that has little to do with output power. If you want to drive one of those, get a Clip+ or maybe one of the newest Cowons (the older ones tended to have higher output impedance).

It all comes to this, that there is in point in buying a DAP other than Clip+/Fuze, if (objectively measured) great sound quality is needed, and the possible difference is 3dB in loudness, which is almost negligible. I don't know anyone, who listens to music at full volume. The market is drifting towards making DAPs another smartphones with big displays and touch-everything.

The Clip+ comes down to taste of course, but I don't think theres any point at looking at the output power of mp3 players. It really doesn't matter at all to 99.9% of people, and most of the rest should probably have picked better headphones smile.gif
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 19:18