IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
I/O error with vgmstream
Soltis
post Feb 5 2012, 16:02
Post #1





Group: Members
Posts: 17
Joined: 5-February 12
Member No.: 96940



Trying to play .xa files with vgmstream; getting an "I/O error" -- no further information, nothing in the Windows event log. Strangely enough, this only started happening recently; I was able to play these files just fine a few weeks ago.

After I got the error I updated foobar2000 and its plugins to the most recent versions -- which changed exactly nothing.

I also tested using different output options -- WASAPI, ASIO, DS -- and that didn't do anything. Enabling/disabling the PPHS resampler also didn't change anything.

Suggestions?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Soltis
post Feb 25 2012, 20:58
Post #2





Group: Members
Posts: 17
Joined: 5-February 12
Member No.: 96940



Still have yet to find a solution.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kode54
post Feb 26 2012, 03:34
Post #3





Group: Admin
Posts: 4629
Joined: 15-December 02
Member No.: 4082



VGMStream can only play XA files from your hard disk. It cannot play them from game CDs or CD images.

To do that, you would need to use foo_adpcm and add the XA files using one of the additional main menu options, so they end up with xa:// paths.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Soltis
post Feb 26 2012, 17:14
Post #4





Group: Members
Posts: 17
Joined: 5-February 12
Member No.: 96940



They're not on a disc; they're files on my HDD.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kode54
post Feb 26 2012, 18:28
Post #5





Group: Admin
Posts: 4629
Joined: 15-December 02
Member No.: 4082



Do you have both of these components installed? Either one will try to read XA files, although which one takes priority is completely randomized at every program startup. I didn't bother to disable the XA input when both components are detected because my component also supports reading XA from optical discs.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Soltis
post Feb 26 2012, 23:59
Post #6





Group: Members
Posts: 17
Joined: 5-February 12
Member No.: 96940



I started out with only vgmstream; tried installing foo_adpcm when you mentioned it worked too, and that didn't work; removed vgmstream and tried only having foo_adpcm, and it still doesn't work.

I even tried re-extracting the files from the RAR where I had them archived, in case it was some kind of file corruption.

They were originally being played across a network share (a mapped drive to a samba server), and after this began happening I tried moving them to a local HDD and playing them -- without any luck.

I checked my plugin list for any "trouble" plugins, and nothing showed up -- are there any other plugins which handle .xa files I should be aware of? (Either to ensure I don't have them installed, too, or to try instead?)

This post has been edited by Soltis: Feb 26 2012, 23:59
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Soltis
post Aug 9 2012, 21:24
Post #7





Group: Members
Posts: 17
Joined: 5-February 12
Member No.: 96940



So it looks like kode's adpcm tries to take over files with the wrong prefix; that is, the .xa files are on my HDD in my music collection, and the library adds them to my autoplaylist like one would expect.

However, adpcm apparently tries to play them (and consistently takes precedence over vgmstream, at least on my system) and presumably they're pathed with file:// instead of xa://, so it fails.

Either adpcm needs to change how foobar adds items to the library, ignore file://*.xa files, or learn how to handle file:// paths when possible.

This post has been edited by Soltis: Aug 9 2012, 21:29
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kode54
post Aug 10 2012, 07:44
Post #8





Group: Admin
Posts: 4629
Joined: 15-December 02
Member No.: 4082



It does handle file:// paths on local file systems just fine, the xa:// protocol was only added for files with no known extensions.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Soltis
post Sep 6 2012, 13:04
Post #9





Group: Members
Posts: 17
Joined: 5-February 12
Member No.: 96940



Except that doesn't actually seem to be the case. The files in question are on a local drive in the form D:\music\filename.xa and still throw the I/O error. They work just fine any time I remove foo_adpcm and revert to vgmstream alone.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kode54
post Sep 8 2012, 12:00
Post #10





Group: Admin
Posts: 4629
Joined: 15-December 02
Member No.: 4082



You may as well use VGMStream instead of foo_adpcm, as VGMStream supports all of the formats that matter, except for reading XA from CDs.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 13:24