Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The MP3 Polyphase Filter Bank, About the filter, and a possible GPU speedup
JacobG
post Feb 4 2012, 14:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96926

Hello!

For a completely different application, I designed a 32-sub band filter bank in matlab,
And implemented it in CUDA for a GPU.
It currently uses 64 filters, a single 64 point FFT, and the decimation\interpolation is by 32.
But this isn't really important since the CUDA implementation can easily be changed.

Since I read that the MP3 filter bank also divides the signals into 32 sub-bands,
I was wondering if my GPU filterbank can be used for MP3 decoding.

My questions are:
1. Is the total number of taps in the MP3 filter 512, or is it 512 taps in the filter in every branch (512*32 total)?
2. How good is the isolation between the different sub-bands? Do they overlap (One input frequency may have a response in more than one band)? Are "holes", which by I mean dead areas between the sub-bands, allowed?
3. Is this filtering considered an expensive operation in MP3 decoding? What are the time constants it operates in for lets say 512 samples-
mili seconds? micro seconds?
4. Does the format use a specific filter for the decoding? Is there freedom to implement the filter bank with a different structure?

Thanks for reading,
Jacob
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
knutinh
post Feb 4 2012, 23:59
Post #2

Member No.: 37047

Perhaps GPU-based transcoding could be interesting. Doing 1000s of files in a batch means large potential for threading/vectorization.

-k
+Quote Post
Canar
post Feb 5 2012, 01:41
Post #3

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 2796

QUOTE (knutinh @ Feb 4 2012, 14:59) *
Perhaps GPU-based transcoding could be interesting. Doing 1000s of files in a batch means large potential for threading/vectorization.
You're going to run into I/O slowdown far before you can utilize that degree of parallelism.

--------------------
You cannot ABX the rustling of jimmies.
No mouse? No problem.
+Quote Post
saratoga
post Feb 5 2012, 02:32
Post #4

Member No.: 3264

QUOTE (Canar @ Feb 4 2012, 19:41) *
QUOTE (knutinh @ Feb 4 2012, 14:59) *
You're going to run into I/O slowdown far before you can utilize that degree of parallelism.

Being I/O limited would be a nice problem to have. Particularly for people with SSDs.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 13:52