IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Any suggestions on minimising tiny encoderís heap usage on ARM7?
okey
post Jan 10 2012, 00:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96332

I'm working with an LPC2387 chip (72MHz) and a quite limited amount of RAM, and I need to run tinyencoder on it. 'As is', the malloc calls to create buffer space in pack_audio() (in tinypack.c) fail, because there isn't enough heap space. Any suggestions to reduce the heap footprint as much as possible?

The audio data I'm working with is 8KHz 16-bit, and I'm using the TinyEncoder source from the Wavpack download page. I suspect I may be going about this the wrong way since the readme says there is no malloc/free usage...
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
saratoga
post Jan 10 2012, 00:56
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3264

QUOTE (okey @ Jan 9 2012, 18:46) *
I'm working with an LPC2387 chip (72MHz) and a quite limited amount of RAM, and I need to run tinyencoder on it.

How much RAM?

QUOTE (okey @ Jan 9 2012, 18:46) *
'As is', the malloc calls to create buffer space in pack_audio() (in tinypack.c) fail, because there isn't enough heap space. Any suggestions to reduce the heap footprint as much as possible?

The audio data I'm working with is 8KHz 16-bit, and I'm using the TinyEncoder source from the Wavpack download page. I suspect I may be going about this the wrong way since the readme says there is no malloc/free usage...

tinypack.c isn't part of the decoder. Its the example program showing you how to use the library. It mallocs some large buffers to hold the input data. If you don't have that much RAM, either don't use the example program (since you probably don't want to actually run it on your device...) or process from smaller buffers.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 08:18