IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

[not bothering to read the article that is supposedly being discussed], From: Violinists cannot differentiate between Stradivarius+new, 92697
mzil
post Jan 5 2012, 01:00
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 45913

This test should have been triple blind; the test subject, test conductor, AND the violinist must be unaware which is the Strad.

If you tell a musician they are about to play a legendary, work of art, it obviously will change their attitude and performance. They may play more aggressively, be more punchy, etc. or their enthusiasm may make them sway Left and Right more (think Ray Charles at the piano when He's happy) which would vary the sound both live, or as picked up by a mic.

My 2 cents.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Takla
post Jan 5 2012, 03:29
Post #2

Member No.: 74931

QUOTE (mzil @ Jan 5 2012, 00:53) *
........ the heft of the real thing could have still influenced them.

The antique instruments could not be reliably distinguished from the new ones by the extremely skilled and experienced performers, who are intimately familiar with such instruments, which very strongly suggests that this was not the case. There was some effort to disguise any differences such as applying perfume to the chin rests so that an old instrument could not be identified by its smell from an instrument made the previous week. In any case there should be no difference in "heft" (size? weight?) because the new instruments are intended to be as close to perfect replicas as possible of the ancient ones, in construction, sound, and use. Reading the article helps a lot smile.gif
+Quote Post
mzil
post Jan 5 2012, 06:24
Post #3

Member No.: 45913

QUOTE (mzil @ Jan 5 2012, 00:53) *
In any case there should be no difference in "heft" (size? weight?)

Heft means weight.

Reading the article helps a lot smile.gif

You have a point, but...

It's rather rare that I'll click on a link with the word "blog" built right in to the URL address. I have little interest in the random thoughts of nobodies I don't know, who insist, often without documentation or references, things like "I am a world expert on violins, or at least my friend is, and even though this 'article' has not undergone any third party fact checking, nor can I be held accountable to any editorial board or review staff, trust me." Not that I'm saying I read the article, so...you got me.

Besides, indoctrination, or what most refer to as 'reading', is often overrated, I find . It clouds the mind with weird notions, availibility heuristics, expectation biases, and makes one susceptible to the placebo effect. wink.gif

[Don't take me too seriously; but seriously, I'm not taken, should any of you reading this be attractive, young, single, females. smile.gif ]

This post has been edited by mzil: Jan 5 2012, 06:32
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 06:56